6-legged sling

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
In the process of misting my 2 inch A. avic's jar (screw-on lid..) It bolted straight up. I lowered the lid carefully. I looked before screwing it on, and she wasn't anywhere near the top. However, after I screwed it on, I looked, and she was trapped. I grabbed it and unscrewed it as fast as I could. She lost (on the right side), the leg next to her very last one, at her body, and the leg next to it (moving up) is crumpled.
I'm scared to death that clumsyass me may end up killing her. Is there anything I can do to help her live? At the leg that was lost, on her body, I saw hemolymph, but it appears to have slowed down.

Peace,
Gillian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unfortunately there's not much you can do at this stage except watch and wait. The good news is it sounds like you only caught the legs, which shouldn't be fatal, even for a sling. But if the two legs don't drop off and continue bleeding, there might be complications. Since it's a small spiderling, I'd advise against attempting to remove one of the limbs yourself unless the spider appears to be dying anyway.

Good luck, I know this kind of thing can be a real downer, but hopefully the little thing will pull through!!

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Thanks for the advice. I have her, in her jar, by me as I type. The leg towards the back came off where it joins the body. As for the other, she's either favoring it or, its damaged. The hemolymph at her body, where the leg popped off, isn't dripping off. There's what appears to be a very tiny droplet, but its just staying where it came out.
*sigh*
(if they die of natural causes, that's hard enough. but, if its because of you, that's the worst of all)

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, don't beat yourself up over it... :D I've killed spiders before, too - I think most of us who've been doing it a while have.

I don't want to give you false hope and have it die, but it does sound promising if there's no more lymph fluid leaking out. Also, spiders are pretty much built to withstand just this kind of thing (losing legs). My guess would be the prognosis is pretty good at this point, but again, you never know for sure.

Good luck!

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
An update...
The droplet of hemolymph, at her body, where the leg came off? Is smaller. I still have her, right by me. I'm just really worried about her. On a positive note, she ate a really huge meal last night; 3 2 week old cricks. So, at least she has fuel in her.

Bill,
Thanks for the kind words and, for helping me out. Damn, but I feel like the worst...

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
SS,
I didn't..:) I'm keeping her moist. I think that, the fact that she's so mellow, is helping too. She's just hanging out on a plastic leaf..

Peace,
Gillian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gillian, if the spiderling hasn't declined visibly or died by now, I have to say the outlook is looking ever better. Whatever you're doing, even if it's just well wishing, keep it up! Seems like things will work out.

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck to your little Avic Gillian! Don't feel too bad, I've done it myself. It was an accident after all. Keep us posted still, ok?

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
I hope so..:) The drop that was showing has either dried up or, been re-absorbed. However, it appears that she is a 7 legged spider; the other leg is not damaged at all. Thank you, you've done much to calm my worrisome heart...

Peace,
Gillian

Gary, I will..and, thanks..I know it was an accident, but I still feel awful

Last edited:

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Gillian, I did the EXACT same thing to an Avic sling the EXACT same way a few months back, and she's just fine now (and back to 8 legs). I felt horrible, too, but accidents can happen even when you're careful, and with luck your story will have a similarly happy ending.

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Joy,
The "bleeding" has stopped. All that remains now is you can see a quite noticeable hole, where the leg was. About an hour ago, she started cleaning herself...PHEW! I've felt so bad, that I've been carrying her around the house with me, in her jar. I'm usually calm around these guys, but I think a few drops of water hit her. She was on the very bottom, and jumped. The jump carried her from the bottom, all the way to the top.

Peace,
Gillian..
(thanks..:) )

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Gillian,
it's happened to us too...with an A versicolor sling. She ended up throwing the 2 badly injured legs, and has since regenerated. I felt terrible, and so did Shelby, since she was the one that actually caused the accident.
Fact is, things happen, and we always feel bad...but you do the best you can...they are so tiny...it's really hard sometimes!
I've killed more slings than I care to think of

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Gillian,
it's happened to us too...with an A versicolor sling. She ended up throwing the 2 badly injured legs, and has since regenerated. I felt terrible, and so did Shelby, since she was the one that actually caused the accident.
Fact is, things happen, and we always feel bad...but you do the best you can...they are so tiny...it's really hard sometimes!
I've killed more slings than I care to think of
Holley,
True, but..I felt so awful! The newly re-named Stubs is doing fine..*eg* I'm happy that your t healed up..Now, if only this one can be a female..

Peace,
Gillian