6" Acanthoscurria geniculata stuck in molt

Fred Draven

Arachnosquire
Any tropical species needs moisture in a certain degree. Water dishes only hydrate, moist substrate, hence humid air, prevents dehydration and molting issues, as this humid air will absorb way less moisture from them.

If you accept a suggestion, learn about your Ts habitat. Do not follow blindly every care sheet.
Okay thx for the tip

Jess S

Arachnobaron
If it were my tarantula, I would use my tweezers to hold the moult firmly. The tarantula will struggle to get away, find that it can’t and then it will automonise the pedipalps itself. Don’t tug or pull hard. Let the genic do the work. There will be quite a bit of hair kicking.

Make sure to block or remove the hide until it’s finished and have a good grip of the moult - otherwise it’ll just tear.

I’ve done this myself with a P sazimai that had a couple of stuck legs. The benefit was that both limbs fully regenerated on the next moult.

The palps should pop off at the coxa (right where they meet the carapace) , and as there is a valve that shuts off the flow of hemolymph, it shouldn’t bleed heavily if at all. Nevertheless, be ready with some corn flour (or even regular plain flour) and if there is bleeding you can dust that on until the bleeding stops.

Now when to do this - you could wait 10 days so she’s had 2 weeks to harden up, but she won’t be able to drink like that so you risk dehydration. However, she looks like a healthy spider so can more than likely last until then without having a drink. While you wait, she may even autonomise those pedipalps herself.

I helped my P sazimai the day of the moult without issue. However, it’s a personal choice, and it’s good to be cautious so you may decide to wait.

Once she has had time to harden, she will be able to feed without her palps, but if you notice her struggling and not successfully catching and holding her prey, then either use slower moving prey or maim/stun prey items before dropping right in front of her.

cold blood

Staff member
I have 6 genics...i keep them all dry with a water dish, never had any molting issues.

Fred Draven

Arachnosquire
If it were my tarantula, I would use my tweezers to hold the moult firmly. The tarantula will struggle to get away, find that it can’t and then it will automonise the pedipalps itself. Don’t tug or pull hard. Let the genic do the work. There will be quite a bit of hair kicking.

Make sure to block or remove the hide until it’s finished and have a good grip of the moult - otherwise it’ll just tear.

I’ve done this myself with a P sazimai that had a couple of stuck legs. The benefit was that both limbs fully regenerated on the next moult.

The palps should pop off at the coxa (right where they meet the carapace) , and as there is a valve that shuts off the flow of hemolymph, it shouldn’t bleed heavily if at all. Nevertheless, be ready with some corn flour (or even regular plain flour) and if there is bleeding you can dust that on until the bleeding stops.

Now when to do this - you could wait 10 days so she’s had 2 weeks to harden up, but she won’t be able to drink like that so you risk dehydration. However, she looks like a healthy spider so can more than likely last until then without having a drink. While you wait, she may even autonomise those pedipalps herself.

I helped my P sazimai the day of the moult without issue. However, it’s a personal choice, and it’s good to be cautious so you may decide to wait.

Once she has had time to harden, she will be able to feed without her palps, but if you notice her struggling and not successfully catching and holding her prey, then either use slower moving prey or maim/stun prey items before dropping right in front of her.
Great info. However, she hasn't moved for a day so I think there's little chance she'll pull through. :'(

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Yeah unfortunately she may not survive. You can try giving her water, by gently placing her over a dish to drink (you may need a larger saucer due to the stuck moult). It may revive her a little and is worth a try.

Fred Draven

Arachnosquire
Sad news :'(
She's not moving at all today. I think she'll finally stiffen tomorrow morning. RIP my girl for 5 years.:bigtears:
Rn I only have slings and males :( I guess I'm gonna keep a closer eye on moisture just in case things like this happens.