5th and 6th tarantulas

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
So I currently own four T's and have been in the hobby for four years, and I was hoping to get my fifth and sixth t's soon any recommendations?
I currently have a, G.rosea,A.chalchodes,A.geniculata and A.versicolor

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I am going to suggest B.vagans. They grow relatively fast for a brachypelma and have a similar appetite as the A. Genic.

my second suggestion would either A.metallica or GBB

what are you looking for in a T? I could provide more suggestions

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I want to get at least one arboreal and something a bit more colorful for the terrestrial species

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Take a look at a few of these, feel free to ask for more info if one tickles your fancy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I currently own four T's and have been in the hobby for four years, and I was hoping to get my fifth and sixth t's soon any recommendations?
I currently have a, G.rosea,A.chalchodes,A.geniculata and A.versicolor
W/out any meaningful info to go on from you, I suggest Panamainian Fiery Tigerump (Theraphosinae sp. "Panama")

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I think Im going to look into getting a GBB and some kind of another avic.Thanks for the suggestions

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was going to say GBB as well. Fabulous webbers, gorgeous spiders, and on the speedier side without being defensive.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
W/out any meaningful info to go on from you, I suggest Panamainian Fiery Tigerump (Theraphosinae sp. "Panama")
It's funny because TarCan has a couple of species that I have been looking at on their website, except I cannot find much information out there about them.
They're very lovely looking. TarCan have Theraphosinae sp. Bolivia-Chapare and Theraphosinae sp. Piura.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
From what youre looking for Just off the top of my head I'll say..

Avicularia purpurea
Avicularia Avicularia
Grammostola pulchripes
C. Cyaneopubescens

louise f

Arachnoangel
I would recommend Brachypelma emelia if you are looking for something colorful, and Grammostola pulchripes if you want a spider that get a great size.

As for aboreal i would recommend Avicularia diversipes or a Iridopelma hirsutum lovely colors on those

cold blood

Staff member
For terrestrial I'd look at G. pulchripes (beastly eaters, good size and great looking and readily available at low cost), GBB (heavy webber, good eater, nice looking, a hobby classic) or a red leg type Brachy, like emelia or smithi...both are classics in the hobby for good reason...very nice looking ts.

Another to consider is T. cyaneolum...beautiful (very GBBish), good eaters and incredibly docile and calm...just an amazing species...this would actually be my first choice if I were in your shoes, hands down...locating a female (you won't find slings) can be difficult and a little spendy (like $150), but still less than an AF B. smithi or emelia would run you....a truly incredible species...IMO the single most under-rated and under-appreciated species available in the hobby, especially if you are considering a beginner type.

For an arboreal, man, just get a P. cambridgei...possibly the ultimate arboreal...size, unique coloration, incredible appetite (put a GBB to shame) and actually not too difficult to work around...plus they're one of, if not the best stepping stone type ts there is for OW arboreals......and they're cheap and abundant...just get a sling (or slings)...you don't want to miss out on their amazing growth.

A. avic is actually another good one....abundant, cheap and still a very cool species.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
For terrestrial I'd look at G. pulchripes (beastly eaters, good size and great looking and readily available at low cost), GBB (heavy webber, good eater, nice looking, a hobby classic) or a red leg type Brachy, like emelia or smithi...both are classics in the hobby for good reason...very nice looking ts.

Another to consider is T. cyaneolum...beautiful (very GBBish), good eaters and incredibly docile and calm...just an amazing species...this would actually be my first choice if I were in your shoes, hands down...locating a female (you won't find slings) can be difficult and a little spendy (like $150), but still less than an AF B. smithi or emelia would run you....a truly incredible species...IMO the single most under-rated and under-appreciated species available in the hobby, especially if you are considering a beginner type.

For an arboreal, man, just get a P. cambridgei...possibly the ultimate arboreal...size, unique coloration, incredible appetite (put a GBB to shame) and actually not too difficult to work around...plus they're one of, if not the best stepping stone type ts there is for OW arboreals......and they're cheap and abundant...just get a sling (or slings)...you don't want to miss out on their amazing growth.

A. avic is actually another good one....abundant, cheap and still a very cool species.
Are the p. Cambridgei not as bad as I have read? I am actually quite interested in these but I've read some reports that say beginners should stay away from this species, what do you think? Very beautiful colors and structure on this T.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
C. Fasciatum, GBB, B. Vagans, O. diamantinensis or L. Parabyhana

Oooh ohh G. Inheringi :rolleyes:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Are the p. Cambridgei not as bad as I have read? I am actually quite interested in these but I've read some reports that say beginners should stay away from this species, what do you think? Very beautiful colors and structure on this T.
They are a perfect arboreal for start my man, I keep saying this. They are speedy but that's all and, btw, which arboreal is considered "slow" at the end?

A somewhat more, if compared to the average NW T's, potent venom?
Sure, just avoid bites, pretty easy if you ask me, they aren't so defensive as people loves to depict sometimes :)

They are bulletproof, easy to care, they grow like weed, 0.1 are amazing... there's no one single reason for not suggest one.

cold blood

Staff member
Beginner, no, they're not for beginners, more of an intermediate type. The op said he's been keeping his for 4 years, so he may be in position to want to step it up a little and he may want something like a pokie (for example) in the future...he may not.

But bad?? They are fast, very fast and have that potential, but truthfully, its the potential that will keep you on your toes at all times, because the rare occasion they act different, you better be prepared or you might be chasing or worse, wearing it. But if you have some experience and fully understand both what the capabilities are (this is the easy part) and how to properly deal with and control or predict (to a degree) those capabilities, they are actually not a difficult keep. They are tolerant of a wide range of conditions, can be housed arboreally or even terrestrially (either way, they do best with more space versus less) and eat everything that moves...every time...they don't eat, it means they're about to molt.

Because they grow so fast, you really should have experience prior as they will grow faster than you can advance...its ridiculous how often they molt and how much growth they put on with each one...even the small slings put on huge growth per molt. They're a feisty 3+" in no time.

At some point, everyone should own a P. cam.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Beginner, no, they're not for beginners, more of an intermediate type. The op said he's been keeping his for 4 years, so he may be in position to want to step it up a little and he may want something like a pokie (for example) in the future...he may not.

But bad?? They are fast, very fast and have that potential, but truthfully, its the potential that will keep you on your toes at all times, because the rare occasion they act different, you better be prepared or you might be chasing or worse, wearing it. But if you have some experience and fully understand both what the capabilities are (this is the easy part) and how to properly deal with and control or predict (to a degree) those capabilities, they are actually not a difficult keep. They are tolerant of a wide range of conditions, can be housed arboreally or even terrestrially (either way, they do best with more space versus less) and eat everything that moves...every time...they don't eat, it means they're about to molt.

Because they grow so fast, you really should have experience prior as they will grow faster than you can advance...its ridiculous how often they molt and how much growth they put on with each one...even the small slings put on huge growth per molt. They're a feisty 3+" in no time.

At some point, everyone should own a P. cam.
You, sir, just talked me into one of these. And here I said that I wouldn't be getting another arboreal :rolleyes:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
You, sir, just talked me into one of these. And here I said that I wouldn't be getting another arboreal :rolleyes:
I was thinking that too lol. I don't want to go into OW but I've been looking up these guys for a while kind of thinking "man wish they weren't as bad as I read" @cold blood you just gave me some hope haha. I like to show all of my T as much respect as I would one with more potent venom and speed, simply because I don't want a bite or an escapee. I won't rush to order one right away but it's really nice to know it's there :)