50/50 question

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I kind of know how the 50/50 split for breeding works, but I'd like more imput. Am I right to say that the male is sent to the females owner for pairing and that the hopeful sac is split even between both owners? Next..what happens with the male afterwards? Is he shipped back?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Ok I kind of know how the 50/50 split for breeding works, but I'd like more imput. Am I right to say that the male is sent to the females owner for pairing and that the hopeful sac is split even between both owners? Next..what happens with the male afterwards? Is he shipped back?
All depends on what you work out with the breeder. If the female is for certain gravid and she didn't munch the mail - should they keep him, how fresh is he, how long did they have him? Is it a species worth spending double postage on for a male that might or might not have a few weeks or months?

I have had a couple of males mature. I took them to the local breeder's meeting. One has been returned to me, we're waiting on a sac... fingers crossed (my big A. metallica). My little OBT has been dropped off, with orders to pass him around the local group as long as he lasts!!!

I don't think any breeder is going to handle it exactly the same way.

Marga

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya, I found more info on it thru google. Reason I was aking is I'm getting a male GBB. He's only about a year old and hasn't reached maturity yet, but I do want to make sure he has a chance to breed when he does and I really can't afford to buy a female GBB that size. Not to mention I've never tried my hand at breeding and I'd much rather leave it up to someone with experience. So a 50/50 split would be ideal for me.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are not the easiest species to breed and the females are often male munchers. People are getting better and there have been several sacs in the past few years. If you decide on a 50/50 choose someone with experience and a freshly molted female(I do not qualify and therefore consider myself objective as I have failed with this species) You pay for the shipping of your male and if you want him sent on, you will either agree to bear the shipping costs or if your first breeding partner is willing, they can send him on and you will then owe them for shipping the spiderlings back to you if they have a sac. Your first breeding partner is doing you a favor if they agree to pay to ship him on, because if they don't get a sac, they have actually paid to give you a 2nd try with your male and they don't get the $$ back. I think most breeders will charge you for shipping him on. These males often command a decent price if you decide to sell him instead of loaning him. You might be able to trade him for a decently-sized female or several spiderlings so you can try to raise a female of your own.
Diane

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens are not the easiest species to breed and the females are often male munchers. People are getting better and there have been several sacs in the past few years. If you decide on a 50/50 choose someone with experience and a freshly molted female(I do not qualify and therefore consider myself objective as I have failed with this species) You pay for the shipping of your male and if you want him sent on, you will either agree to bear the shipping costs or if your first breeding partner is willing, they can send him on and you will then owe them for shipping the spiderlings back to you if they have a sac. Your first breeding partner is doing you a favor if they agree to pay to ship him on, because if they don't get a sac, they have actually paid to give you a 2nd try with your male and they don't get the $$ back. I think most breeders will charge you for shipping him on. These males often command a decent price if you decide to sell him instead of loaning him. You might be able to trade him for a decently-sized female or several spiderlings so you can try to raise a female of your own.
Diane

+1... GBBs are notorious Husband Eaters! lol... kidding aside, if you really plan to have your male loaned out, make sure it would be to an experienced breeder. But still, there is no guarantee that the male wont end up as a free meal for the female. Before you send out your Ts on a loan, make sure everything is ironed out, from the shipping of the male to the shipping of the slings if ever there would be a successful eggsac, etc etc... Every transaction has its own parameters so i guess nothing is set on stone when it comes to a 50/50 loan agreement...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would it be rude to post a MM 50/50 loan asking for the female's owner to pay for shipping, except for the way back? If it's unlikely that it happens, it's no problem for me paying but I wanted extra opinions. My family and friends don't think I'm that bright for paying to ship a free spider or something. :eyeroll::?

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would it be rude to post a MM 50/50 loan asking for the female's owner to pay for shipping, except for the way back? If it's unlikely that it happens, it's no problem for me paying but I wanted extra opinions. My family and friends don't think I'm that bright for paying to ship a free spider or something. :eyeroll::?
If that's the way you want to structure your deal that's fine. Myself I've started doing that very same thing, spent far too much on shipping with nothing coming back. So if I want the MM I'm more than willing to pay to recieve, and if we have slings to split you pay to get them. This way you are not out the cost of your male and shipping. There are many on here that disagree with this, but they are not paying for my males or shipping cost. Good luck by the way what species MM do you have?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just an MM P.irminia. His brother is currently with Codykrr. He molted 12/28/10. Think that's too old to try? He didn't start his wander lust until late January.

I know there are at least two in NE that want one but I'm a little nervous shipping that far but maybe. One of the females is big!

Thanks for reading. I'm headed for bed but I'll check this thread tomarrow. :)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just an MM P.irminia. His brother is currently with Codykrr. He molted 12/28/10. Think that's too old to try? He didn't start his wander lust until late January.

I know there are at least two in NE that want one but I'm a little nervous shipping that far but maybe. One of the females is big!

Thanks for reading. I'm headed for bed but I'll check this thread tomarrow. :)
He is as ready for some fun as he can be;-)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He is as ready for some fun as he can be;-)
Alright then. Hopefully I can find a mate that isn't too far. I got a PM from an experienced buyer/seller about paying for the trip there and the female's owner paying the shipping for going back home (hopefully with slings in tow ;) ) so that was helpful. He's looking a little impatient. I got my first threat pose from him as a MM when I refilled his dish. It's a bit more entertaining than when the females do it. Lots of slapping. {D

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alright then. Hopefully I can find a mate that isn't too far. I got a PM from an experienced buyer/seller about paying for the trip there and the female's owner paying the shipping for going back home (hopefully with slings in tow ;) ) so that was helpful. He's looking a little impatient. I got my first threat pose from him as a MM when I refilled his dish. It's a bit more entertaining than when the females do it. Lots of slapping. {D
I am currently breeding haplopelma schmidti and hainanum, there the males are veeery quick also to give me some threats;-) Not very grateful, even though i try to help them meet som nice ladies:?

How about getting a female for yourself instead?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am currently breeding haplopelma schmidti and hainanum, there the males are veeery quick also to give me some threats;-) Not very grateful, even though i try to help them meet som nice ladies:?

How about getting a female for yourself instead?
LOL, I have a female P.irminia already but it's his sister... and I want her to put on some size before I attempt a breeding in the future.