5 Tree Tiger Tarantulas

AsecArachnids

Arachnopeon
Good day! I was just wondering if someone can give me a top 5 list of the best tree tiger tarantulas? I used to have earth tigers but they are always inside their burrows hahaha.. That’s one reason why I want to keep at least 3-5 different tree tiger tarantulas. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Arboreal tarantulas will very much hide away too. It's how they've evolved to keep safe and not become a tasty snack to a predator.

So whilst some might very well venture out during the day most will hide and come out at night.

Which genus are considered tree tigers?
No clue what a tree tiger is, sorry.
Guessing they mean the Asian arboreals. Omothymus schioedtei etcetera.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Good day! I was just wondering if someone can give me a top 5 list of the best tree tiger tarantulas? I used to have earth tigers but they are always inside their burrows hahaha.. That’s one reason why I want to keep at least 3-5 different tree tiger tarantulas. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!
To answer your question, arboreal Asian tarantulas are almost just as reclusive as burrowing Asian species in terms of the "Tiger" (Omothymous, Cyriopagopus, etc. genus). So betting yourself on seeing more of a display tarantula with the "Tiger" Asian species will mostly result in the same outcome. It's kind of like flipping a coin but both sides are the same. I'm not saying that all of them are reclusive as some specimens may be unique or out a lot, but the general consensus in terms of Omothymous, Cyriopagopus, etc. genus ("Tiger" common name in reference) is that they're quite shy and reclusive.

Now Poecilotheria might be different, but that'll be for something else...

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
To answer your question, arboreal Asian tarantulas are almost just as reclusive as burrowing Asian species in terms of the "Tiger" (Omothymous, Cyriopagopus, etc. genus). So betting yourself on seeing more of a display tarantula with the "Tiger" Asian species will mostly result in the same outcome. It's kind of like flipping a coin but both sides are the same. I'm not saying that all of them are reclusive as some specimens may be unique or out a lot, but the general consensus in terms of Omothymous, Cyriopagopus, etc. genus ("Tiger" common name in reference) is that they're quite shy and reclusive.

Now Poecilotheria might be different, but that'll be for something else...
I agree, they are often indeed very reclusive. I have a juvenile female Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati (AKA "Purple Earth Tiger"/ "Purple Tree Tiger") and she's extremely reclusive. I've seen her maybe 3 times since I bought her 6 months ago. A lot of the Asian arboreal species will also do some burrowing. They're very beautiful when you do catch them out and about, though. Oftentimes the only reason I know she's still alive is because there are a few small spots of poop towards the top of the enclosure, feeder insects have vanished, and there's some new webbing every so often.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I agree, they are often indeed very reclusive. I have a juvenile female Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati (AKA "Purple Earth Tiger"/ "Purple Tree Tiger") and she's extremely reclusive. I've seen her maybe 3 times since I bought her 6 months ago. A lot of the Asian arboreal species will also do some burrowing. They're very beautiful when you do catch them out and about, though. Oftentimes the only reason I know she's still alive is because there are a few small spots of poop towards the top of the enclosure, feeder insects have vanished, and there's some new webbing every so often.
My Hati Hati has been quite a burrower. Built a bit of a tube going up the side. hides quite a bit but I catch it out at night.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Mit Zimmerit!
Okay who knows what the heck I am talking about?

My pokies are total Pet Holes, I see my NW arboreals way more
Only one of my pokies has been really reclusive burrowing (lowland lol). My Striata has a bit of a burrow but comes out a lot on the sides. The others have been out quite a bit. The metallica only did when it was really small.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Common name - useless

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Only heard it referring to Poecilotheria.
1. Rufilata
2. Ornata
3.miranda
4.metallica
5.subfusca (both hl and ll forms) IMG_20201014_132653_496.jpg
20200823_135720.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to arboreal Ornithoctoninae.

The only ones I've kept are Omothymus schioedtei, Lampropelma nigerrimum (doesn't have the "Tree Tiger" common name but same subfamily), and Ornithoctoninae sp. "Rufus" (sold as Phormingochilus sp. "Rufus").

They're all pretty much just as reclusive as their fossorial counterparts.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Only one of my pokies has been really reclusive burrowing (lowland lol). My Striata has a bit of a burrow but comes out a lot on the sides. The others have been out quite a bit. The metallica only did when it was really small.
My regalis built a dirt cone behind her bark and stays there most of the time. I see her a handful of times a month. My rufilata spends most her time on the back of the cork (understood) but you can see her from the side sometimes, and she explores a bit more than the regalis

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My regalis built a dirt cone behind her bark and stays there most of the time. I see her a handful of times a month. My rufilata spends most her time on the back of the cork (understood) but you can see her from the side sometimes, and she explores a bit more than the regalis
Yeah my lowland had a cone but tore it up after the molt and is just staying in the hole. I am not even sure how she is fitting in there because atm she must be the whole length of the substrate haha. Will probably rehouse once she hardens up.