5 isopods to start a colony - yay/nay?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If you had the opportunity to get five individuals of a species you’re interested in - would you hop on it? Basically the dilemma I’m facing. Is it a wise decision to start a colony with just 5 individuals? Just wondering what my chances of success would be. I see some shops/user on eBay sell 5 individual starter colonies so was curious if this is also a ‘norm’ so lol I speak.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I don't consider it a great number to start with just because one or two mortalities could suddenly leave you with specimens all of one sex. It has become more the norm to make expensive species more affordable to people but I personally am not a fan of such "starter" colonies.

That said, if it's a species you may not have the chance to get again (at least for a while) I'd say go for it; worst that can happen is you have to trade for members of the opposite sex if you get all males/all females.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Need at minimum 20
Not necessarily; it has been pretty much standard to sell starter colonies of 10-12 individuals (usually with a few freebies to make up for any shipping losses) for as long as I can remember. 20 definitely helps but certainly isn't necessary unless you are dealing with a more sensitive species and need some extras as you figure out their care.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Not necessarily; it has been pretty much standard to sell starter colonies of 10-12 individuals (usually with a few freebies to make up for any shipping losses) for as long as I can remember. 20 definitely helps but certainly isn't necessary unless you are dealing with a more sensitive species and need some extras as you figure out their care.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Just my experience.

Thanks

poonjab

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
How interesting; what species in your experience need 20+ specimens to get going in a reasonable timeframe?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
I started with 6 duckies and had a pretty infinite supply in a short time frame. Which makes me feel like the prices of “rare” isopods is a bit it of a scam, but that’s besides the point. I think the biggest concern with low starting populations is a genetic bottleneck and low diversity. The 6 starter duckies were the normal dark variety, but all of the colony now has transistioned to the lighter “blonde” morph, which is a little disappointing

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Which makes me feel like the prices of “rare” isopods is a bit it of a scam
Ohhh no it 100% is a total scam. And it’s works cause people buy them at those ridiculous prices all the time, despite how absolutely prolific most all of them are.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you had the opportunity to get five individuals of a species you’re interested in - would you hop on it? Basically the dilemma I’m facing. Is it a wise decision to start a colony with just 5 individuals? Just wondering what my chances of success would be. I see some shops/user on eBay sell 5 individual starter colonies so was curious if this is also a ‘norm’ so lol I speak.
I agree that starting with just five is a little riskier than starting with a higher number, such as 10 or 12, partly in case of mortality, partly because you are starting with limited genetic diversity. That said, it can totally be done successfully.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I don't consider it a great number to start with just because one or two mortalities could suddenly leave you with specimens all of one sex. It has become more the norm to make expensive species more affordable to people but I personally am not a fan of such "starter" colonies.

That said, if it's a species you may not have the chance to get again (at least for a while) I'd say go for it; worst that can happen is you have to trade for members of the opposite sex if you get all males/all females.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks for the reply! Yea, my thinking was grabbing five of them now, and when they grow and I’m able to sell some isopods from my other colonies in months time, I can use that to get more individuals (trying to make this self sustaining hobby 😅).

I started with 6 duckies and had a pretty infinite supply in a short time frame. Which makes me feel like the prices of “rare” isopods is a bit it of a scam, but that’s besides the point. I think the biggest concern with low starting populations is a genetic bottleneck and low diversity. The 6 starter duckies were the normal dark variety, but all of the colony now has transistioned to the lighter “blonde” morph, which is a little disappointing
Thanks for the reply! Planning on getting a few more individuals down the line to add to the bloodline once they start growing in numbers.

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your substrate mix for the duckies?

I agree that starting with just five is a little riskier than starting with a higher number, such as 10 or 12, partly in case of mortality, partly because you are starting with limited genetic diversity. That said, it can totally be done successfully.
Thanks for the reply! And thanks for making so many isopod related videos, spent a few days binging through them and I really enjoy them.

And that makes sense, I was planning on adding more individuals down the line once they grow to increase genetic diversity, but the mortality in the beginning is what has me a wee bit concerned. Slightly different question, often do you usually introduce new bloodlines to existing cultures?

Blooming Doom

Arachnopeon
Classifieds User
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your substrate mix for the duckies?
Hmmm, hard to describe, it’s those natural oak wood pellets for grilling, but broken down to its sawdust form and fermented, like ‘flake soil’ used for raising rhino beetle grubs.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So to answer your question I wouldn’t start with just 5. I’m going to send you a pm depending on what species you are looking for I might be able to connect you with a friend who sells at more hobbyist prices not .com prices.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Ohhh no it 100% is a total scam. And it’s works cause people buy them at those ridiculous prices all the time, despite how absolutely prolific most all of them are.
Haha I’m getting some Cubaris vibes off of this. Species like cappuccino and white ducks breed so easily once they get going and are just as easy as normal duckies yet you pay 6 for 300. Like how are duckies and pandas still so expensive, seems like everyone has them and they breed like hell. The iso market is crazy.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Haha I’m getting some Cubaris vibes off of this. Species like cappuccino and white ducks breed so easily once they get going and are just as easy as normal duckies yet you pay 6 for 300. Like how are duckies and pandas still so expensive, seems like everyone has them and they breed like hell. The iso market is crazy.
The species I’m looking at in question are sp. ‘Pak Chong’ - do they happen to breed as easily as the ones you mentioned by any chance?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The species I’m looking at in question are sp. ‘Pak Chong’ - do they happen to breed as easily as the ones you mentioned by any chance?
“Pak Chong” is one of the more prolific species I think, just take a little while to get going.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
“Pak Chong” is one of the more prolific species I think, just take a little while to get going.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Got it! Quick question regarding substrate, would this work in your opinion?:
Happy Frog Potting Soil
Aspen Snake Bedding
Leaf Litter
Sphagnum moss
Extra worm castings
Chicken calcium pellets (oyster shell and coral calcium)
And then some cocofiber as a bit of filler (in the future will use leaf compost when available).

On top I’ll provide more leaf litter, some cuttlebone, and cork hides. In the spring I’ll look for decomposing wood as well.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Sounds fine to me, possibly overkill but otherwise good, ha ha. As you continue to become more experienced with isopods you'll begin to dial in the best mix for a given species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts