5 inch Usambara escapee!

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The last tarantula of mine that I would want loose around my apartment escaped over the weekend, and I've had no luck finding her. I didn't post right away because I've had escapee's before and I found them after a couple hours (at the most) of searching.
3 days later I'm beginning to think that I won't find her. I've check through the couches, dressers, behind the washer dryer, refrigerator and everything that my girlfriend and I can think of! All the dark areas of the apartment, and I even took apart my surround speakers thinking that she may have gone into one of the ports.

Anyone have some ideas on where to look? Can these guys climb walls easily?
I swear I've checked everything and there's no way out of this apartment except through the front door.
I'm about to give up :?

Jim B.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You sure she's not in her tank?

Good luck in finding her. At that size she'll have a good chance of survival.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My experiences with escapees tell me that just dont pay attention to it. They are bound to pop up at a time when you least expect it.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm sure she's not in her tank. I took all the substrate out a handful at a time. My critter keeper lid wasn't latched down and she must have lifted it up to get out.

And that's what I'm worried about, finding her when I least expect it. I read that post about a guy finding his by getting bit as he sat down on the couch. :eek:

Jim B.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unfortunately, they are terrific climbers and are at home on the ground as well as up high.
The best thing to do is keep a look out for webbing. That may be your best hopes of finding her, by looking for web trials, or a noticeable mass of webbing. Sooner or later, she will web up a retreat for her to hide in.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Ralph

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Unfortunately, they are terrific climbers and are at home on the ground as well as up high.
The best thing to do is keep a look out for webbing. That may be your best hopes of finding her, by looking for web trials, or a noticeable mass of webbing. Sooner or later, she will web up a retreat for her to hide in.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Ralph
I can't believe I missed that part. Usambaras tend to web up like crazy. I agree that that's your best bet.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also had that idea in mind. It only took about 12 hours for my brothers Green Bottle to make an entire tube web underneath his computer desk.
I gave her about 24 hours to make some sort of web, I thought it would help me spot her if she was in the back of the couch somewhere. Maybe it will take her a little longer to settle in. I've gradually eliminated rooms in my apartment that I've checked and put towels underneath the doors so she can't keep moving to other spots on me.

The only thing left (unless I missed something) is the couch. It's the recliner type and it has about
a million places for a 5" Usambara to hide in :?

Jim B.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is the only reason i love my current T tank, it is a slide in lid, the only way he could escape is if i dont slide it all the way...oh i don't look forward to the day he escapes....i would FREAK when he pops up...becuase by then i would have forgotten about him, then go to pick up something and he be there i would probably have a heart attack...hehehe...i love him as long as i know where he is...

good luck in your searching, i always read these so i am ready for the inevitable escape...

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My little 3 inch Usambara likes to hide in her burrow most of the time. So far she's attempted no escapes. The only time I really see her is when she's in need of crickets. Then she's wandering around her Pet Pal only to quickly hide the minute a light is on.

Sam

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Palespider

The only thing left (unless I missed something) is the couch. It's the recliner type and it has about
a million places for a 5" Usambara to hide in :?

Jim B.
Try check your home at night, becourse mine g.rosea has escaped about... 3-4times and two of those times i have/my sister have :D founded it wandering around the house at night.

Eh, really bad english but I hope you understand what i mean...:)

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I think she was mad because I put her in a bigger petpal when she had a nice web going on. I had the hardest time getting her out of it :eek:

Most of the time that I have looked for her has been at night 1-2am. I have even tried leaving for a couple hours in hopes she'll see that I'm gone and go wondering. And when I come back I tip toe around with a flashlight trying to find her.
Hasn't worked. The silly thing is the thing I fear most is her getting hurt or killed. Have a soft spot for that little b!t@# :)

I've tried just about everything I can think of so far. I feel so outsmarted :?

Jim B.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Bro...is this the one we were gonna try to breed? Bummer! I'll help you look if you need it.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, that's her. Thanks for the offer, but I have really turned my house upside down looking for her. I am convinced she is in the couch somewhere or she flew away :confused:

I just hope she comes out soon. I'm moving at the end of July.

Jim B.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
I tip toe around with a flashlight

Does this flashlight have a red lens? If not you are tipping off the T to your presence way too early.

Good luck....and I hope you find it before it finds you :)

Jeff

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
don't forget to check curtains, etc...behind hanging pictures, in plants, bookshelves etc.
They can go up a wall like nobody's business!
Good luck, I imagine a 5" usambara would be right at home in an apartment :eek:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies guys. I know she'll turn up, I'm just hoping she'll be alive and well :)

Jim B.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I found my Usambara today :) She did turn out to be in my speaker down in a corner where I couldn't see her. Today I checked them again and sure enough I saw the entrance to a tube web at the bottom. Poked at it a bit and could hear her hissing and felt her smaking at it and knew it could only be a 5" Usambara in there =D
I had to basically rip the speaker apart to get her out, but it was well worth it.

I'm so happy to have her back safe and sound, and not to mention the relief of not feeling like she could climb into be with me while I'm asleep ;)
Thanks again to all that replied!
Jim B.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Nice! So the date is back on, huh?
BTW...mine just molted again and I'm usually pretty good at sexing but I'm having trouble with this one. Everything points to male but there is no sign of fusillae that I can see. I'll try to get a pic up tonight if it cooperates. (I can't believe I'm actually hoping for a male!)