.5" A. Avic enclosure

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I mocked this up to get your opinions. Going to be getting some A. Avicularia soon and was wondering if this would be a proper enclosure. Along with size, I'd like to get your opinions on the ventilation I've done.

Enclosure is a two piece card box measuring 2.5 x 2 x 3.75.

8 holes on each left and right sides. 7 on back, 2 on top.

If it's too small I'll probably go to a deli cup equivalent

Attachments

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Probably good for 1-2 molts at most then they will need more room I use the Amac boxes from the container store that are item 60380 2-5/16" sq. x 4-3/16" h, then progress to the larger size for juvenile and sub adult item 60500 4" sq. x 7-1/4" h I use them upside down for easy maintenance and to not destroy there webbing every time I open the enclosure.
You can see the smaller ones just behind the vials that are next to the larger size. (2nd pic)
Adults then go on to 2.5 gal aquariums on end.

2015-07-28 19.17.13.jpg
2016-02-03 13.22.10.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View media item 34728
I mocked this up to get your opinions. Going to be getting some A. Avicularia soon and was wondering if this would be a proper enclosure. Along with size, I'd like to get your opinions on the ventilation I've done.

Enclosure is a two piece card box measuring 2.5 x 2 x 3.75.

8 holes on each left and right sides. 7 on back, 2 on top.

If it's too small I'll probably go to a deli cup equivalent

Two things, one bad, one good

1. The interior looks fine
2. The design of the box itself is terrible for your purposes. Removing the entire front causes too much disruption, esp once it lays down silk (not just its canopy but trip wires etc). I use inverted AMAC boxes like the above AND deli cups. You have far better control in both cases to minimize escapes as well.

What will you do when you pull the front away and the T decides that hanging tight on the front removed piece is the place to stay? Not hard to manage, but why bother having to deal w/that when you don't have to is my point.

With the inverted AMAC box is ideal in that it negates that issue entirely.

And w/the deli cup lid, at least you can lift it open only a bit keeping the rest closed, can't do that w/box's design. The entire perimeter is exposed, unlike a deli cup lid OR an inverted AMAC box.

Also, for my comfort, that box is too shallow for an Avic's husbandry. They are fast when they choose to be, and a little guy could easily run out of the box.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Probably good for 1-2 molts at most then they will need more room I use the Amac boxes from the container store that are item 60380 2-5/16" sq. x 4-3/16" h, then progress to the larger size for juvenile and sub adult item 60500 4" sq. x 7-1/4" h I use them upside down for easy maintenance and to not destroy there webbing every time I open the enclosure.
You can see the smaller ones just behind the vials that are next to the larger size. (2nd pic)

View attachment 217055
View attachment 217056
Hmmmm. I think I'm going to have to get another cute fuzzy pink toed baby of some species. :banghead:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Is there anything that you can use on the front as a substitute for pulling the whole front off? It would make me a bit concerned if they ended up being on the front portion and there is no way to really coax them into a different part of the container without having the whole front open.
I would prefer to be able to crack open a wee bit of the enclosure and be able to stick a paint brush in to coax them away from the opening, but it doesn't look like that enclosure enables you to do something like that.
Can you use something else on the front that you could even tape into place instead? It isn't going to look as nice, because the setup really does look nice, but it will give you more control.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Great points @viper69 and @VanessaS I had thought about it being an issue, you confirming the design flaw sold me on getting some amac boxes for arboreals. I think they really seem like the best route, upside down, easy to vent, crystal clear and wont disturb the T too much. Might take to hot gluing the decor to ensure it doesn't shift in them.

I'll just convert this box to a terrestrial sling enclosure and order some amac boxes for the arboreals.

For future reference, should a P. Cambridgei slings setup be similar to the Avic's style? Good cross vent and full water dish? Or is there a different trick to keeping cambridgei?

cold blood

Staff member
Great points @viper69 and @VanessaS I had thought about it being an issue, you confirming the design flaw sold me on getting some amac boxes for arboreals. I think they really seem like the best route, upside down, easy to vent, crystal clear and wont disturb the T too much. Might take to hot gluing the decor to ensure it doesn't shift in them.

I'll just convert this box to a terrestrial sling enclosure and order some amac boxes for the arboreals.

For future reference, should a P. Cambridgei slings setup be similar to the Avic's style? Good cross vent and full water dish? Or is there a different trick to keeping cambridgei?
Keep cams in damper substrate. Also with an avic you want to concentrate the plants around the middle to top of the wood...for a cam I concentrate the plants around the middle somewhat, but most surrounds the base of the wood as that's where they will make their home.

But otherwise, yes, the same basic set up although I start off with a larger 32oz deli right from the start...more room is a plus for Psalmopeous.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think they really seem like the best route,
With one exception, cleaning the container walls and the cage furniture in my case. I have some plastic plants mounted via hot glue inside my Avic boxes. Sure it looks nice, but when they splatter poop everywhere it will not be easy to clean off their cement poop.

In deli cups, it's much easier to clean, OR buy new ones. I don't permanently mount objects in deli cups, just AMACs at times. Throwing away AMAC boxes is too expensive IMO.

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Just my 2 cents, i setup all my sling arboreal (especially my beloved versi's) in front opening enclosures. I have never had issue due to anchor point local.
All the "good" foliage (i.e. Anchor points) and branches aim toward the back and are located in the back 1/2 of the little enclosures i build.
thats an example of a poecilatheria one i just setup for a rehouse tomorrow
thats one i have one of my versi's in.

While i cant guarantee they wont web the front, i find in most cases they dont if all the good spots to web/hide are toward the back making front opening enclosures a very viable choice

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just my 2 cents, i setup all my sling arboreal (especially my beloved versi's) in front opening enclosures.
There's a significant difference between a container like that one, which looks like a RUB, vs Magic's

Your container has a lid, that despite being vertical, can be slid open just a bit to one side if necessary. W/ Magic's card box, all four sides are opened at the same time. The owner can't just slide off one side hah.

I use front opening containers too, nothing wrong with a front opening design at all, depends on the design that's all.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
There's a significant difference between a container like that one, which looks like a RUB, vs Magic's

Your container has a lid, that despite being vertical, can be slid open just a bit to one side if necessary. W/ Magic's card box, all four sides are opened at the same time. The owner can't just slide off one side hah.

I use front opening containers too, nothing wrong with a front opening design at all, depends on the design that's all.
Ah my apologies, i didnt catch that his has myltiple sides open at once. Yea i agree that'd be quite problematic for sure!!!!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With one exception, cleaning the container walls and the cage furniture in my case. I have some plastic plants mounted via hot glue inside my Avic boxes. Sure it looks nice, but when they splatter poop everywhere it will not be easy to clean off their cement poop.

In deli cups, it's much easier to clean, OR buy new ones. I don't permanently mount objects in deli cups, just AMACs at times. Throwing away AMAC boxes is too expensive IMO.
Trick of the trade I use on my AMAC boxes containing H. macs.
When they do the poop splatter thing I get my hemostats, spray bottle and a paper towel. I rip a small piece of paper towel, grab it with the hemostats and wrap the excess around the hemostats' tips and spray it to moisten it up. I squeeze the excess water out and shape it to some kind of giant Qtip. Slightly open the box enough to angle the hemostats in and work the poop off. It comes off fairly easily when you press the moist paper towel on it so that the poop can absorb the water and soften up.

I don't wear gloves and just use another piece of paper towel to pull the poop soaked paper towel chunk off.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
When they do the poop splatter thing I get my hemostats, spray bottle and a paper towel. I rip a small piece of paper towel, grab it with the hemostats and wrap the excess around the hemostats' tips and spray it to moisten it up. I squeeze the excess water out and shape it to some kind of giant Qtip. Slightly open the box enough to angle the hemostats in and work the poop off. It comes off fairly easily when you press the moist paper towel on it so that the poop can absorb the water and soften up.

I don't wear gloves and just use another piece of paper towel to pull the poop soaked paper towel chunk off.
Thats basically exactly how i do it too lol. I check em daily so the poo never has time to really dry up lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I should have mentioned that. I do that as well. It's so much easier to stick my hand inside a deli cup though vs the AMACs. I use both, so a trade off between ease of husbandry and display.

I WISH I could find a 32 oz deli cup that didn't have tapered walls. When the container has a smaller diameter it gives me less space to set up cage furniture and the water bowls how I like them for the Ts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 217055
View attachment 217056
SD what are those 4 white disks in the fish tanks? My guess is they hold up a substrate dam perhaps?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
SD what are those 4 white disks in the fish tanks? My guess is they hold up a substrate dam perhaps?
Yes they actually hold on the hole door system. they are nylon nuts/bolts/washers I did not want to use metal that would come in contact with substrate. They were just a little cheaper than going stainless.

better pic
2016-08-01 13.05.32.jpg