.5” OBT sling escapee do I worry?

neobuddah

Arachnopeon
So I had an OBT sling escape it’s enclosure. Tips on finding it or do I wait for a 4 to 6 inch defensive tarantula to make it self known? 😂 funny but not funny. It’s only maybe .5 inches.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Tear everything apart and start looking ASAP. Time is of the essence. It’ll crawl off and probably die if not found. Especially if you’re in a cold place.

neobuddah

Arachnopeon
It’s been at least a couple days since I opened its enclosure last. I’m sure it got out then. As much as it sucks to lose a sling. I’m more worried about it growing and potentially harming someone later on. Is it possible for it to live and grow in my house.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Look all around the enclosure, and in small tight spaces under and behind things. A .5 in tarantula can fit in extremely small tight places, dark spots. Don’t waste time if you want to try and get it back.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s been at least a couple days since I opened its enclosure last. I’m sure it got out then. As much as it sucks to lose a sling. I’m more worried about it growing and potentially harming someone later on. Is it possible for it to live and grow in my house.
If vent holes were big enough, it could have escaped through that.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
look hard, look now
weren't we just having a discussion about this?
yes, they can survive if your home is warm enough, and yes, they can reappear as adults or juvies

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Oh boy fun stuff. The members before me seemed to have helped enough with this one, all I can add is if you didn’t know it already you got one lightning quick little dude on the run. I hope your catch cup skills are on point

Poonjab

Arachnoking
look hard, look now
weren't we just having a discussion about this?
yes, they can survive if your home is warm enough, and yes, they can reappear as adults or juvies
It just comes back with a vengeance and tags him on the forehead while he sleeps.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You should check for webbing as slings will settle quite quickly once it finds a good settling spot and web. Everyone else already have some good pointers and tips.

True story:
I was rehousing obt slings and one got out and I never found it as it ran into the carpet part of my area and disappeared into the fluffy carpet which I dropped some substrate onto the carpet going after it. After 5 days, I gave up and vacuumed the fluffy carpet with substrate.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Spring cleaning time. Grab a good flashlight and start meticulously covering every square inch.

Free range...it’s not just for chicken or beef these days.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Found it! thank god! Thank you everyone!
😂🤣🤣🤣
Looks like he wants a hug...and to get off that dirty floor. So my original advise still stands with one modification...

Spring cleaning time. Grab a good flashlight and start meticulously cleaning every square inch. 😁

Glad you found it! Love happy endings.

neobuddah

Arachnopeon
Now let’s see enclosure so we can determine if the escape was operator error
Definitely operator error. It teleported on me when I fed tried to feed it this past Saturday. I need to use a larger container whenever I open up its enclosure. Im naming it Nightcrawler from the X-Men. I don’t normally name my Ts but this one earned it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Attachments

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Enclosure looks alright.
I go a little taller with these guys.
I would suggest you let it dry out a bit and be prepared to have that lid webbed.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Definitely operator error. It teleported on me when I fed tried to feed it this past Saturday. I need to use a larger container whenever I open up its enclosure. Im naming it Nightcrawler from the X-Men. I don’t normally name my Ts but this one earned it 🤷🏽‍♂️
as we have said many times, OBT slings have mad speed. If opening the enclosure have a couple lines of defense with the last being quite containable (like a bath tub). So enclosure, inside a storage container, inside the bathtub with the drains plugged and any curtains pulled. That way WHEN it happens you aren't searching the floors

FTR all that furniture provides easy ladders up and out.