?

titan tarantula

Arachnopeon
has anyone ever heard of a vietnamese bird spider? if so what is the scientific name on it and is there any general info on it? i don't have a pic of it but should hopefully get one up soon.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Lam could be right, but there are any number of old world terrestrials that might get that unofficial common name. Given the frequency of improper naming, I'd say it could be any of the haplopelmas, assuming locale is correct.

Bill

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bill, arent all haplopelmas terrestrial? And that birdspiders are usually so called because of their arboreal nature...

Im not actually sure about any of this Bill, just not sure if haplopelmas could pass for birdies...sounds funny is all...heh heh...although i have no idea at all myself...

Cheers man;)

-e-

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe
Bill, arent all haplopelmas terrestrial? And that birdspiders are usually so called because of their arboreal nature...

Im not actually sure about any of this Bill, just not sure if haplopelmas could pass for birdies...sounds funny is all...heh heh...although i have no idea at all myself...

Cheers man;)

-e-
Well, what about the goliath birdeater?

Still, you make much sense. Why are terrestrial tarantulas called birdeating spiders?

:confused:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
According to the Schultz T keepers guide, the name arose when a touring noble found a large spider eating a bird. It stuck, I guess.

Bill

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I gotta stand with whoami here. We all know that the goliath bird eater (T. blondi) is a downright terrestrial. I really doubt that the common name accurately describe the T that well in all cases.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The way it generally works now, from how I understand it, is that birdeater is a common, common name. It breaks down like this....

Birdeater = From South America or it's environs
Earthtiger = From Asia or it's environs
Baboon = From Africa or it's environs

Who know's how birdeater came about originally though, possibly someone who found T. blondi found one eating a bird, or in excavating a burrow came across some bird bones.

Scott

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a similar question when I entred this forum first, some of you guys might remember :).
I can tell you that here in germany every T is called "Vogelspinne" which means: Vogel = bird and spinne = spider. That's how we do it. There is no difference according to their original habitat. We do think that the origin of this word is based on the story mentioned. M.S. Merian found a T eating a bird. Guess that's where it comes from. But IMO the question why you do call them "Tarantula" is far too complex as I found out to just quickly discuss it :)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
funny this should come up. a while back i found an H. lividum in a petshop in Fl. the salesman told me if i bought it he would sell me this other t for 8$. the tarantula was labelled "venetian birdeater". i thought WTF??! but i took the deal. i got it home and took my first good looks at it. it was a mature male, whatever the heck it was. my first thoughts were "ok maybe the common name should be "vietnamese birdeater". so i did what i thought best, packed him up and sent him to john hoke. john identified him as C. paganus and mated him.( still have fingers crossed. female hasnt left her burrow in some time.) anyway, i have seen a vietnamese birdeater at arachnocenter.com, and it looks a whole lot like my T, which was identified as (pet trade) C. paganus. theres no latin name on it at arachnocenter, but there is a pic, and on could clearly argue it being Haplopelma sp. then theres the whole C. paganus soon to be moved to Haplopelma thing. somehow i think my post here has actually caused more confusion....;P

titan tarantula

Arachnopeon
well i took a look at the picture at arachnocenter, and mine looks alot like it. it is a mature male, his palps are charged and he's got some nice stripes on his legs. thanks everyone for your input and help.