40 gallon breeder tank support

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I am looking at a shelving unit with a 36 x 18 (or 24) x 72 that supports 1000lbs per shelf. Will it work? It is going to support a 40 gallon breeder aquarium that is full of water and fish.

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
Water is roughly 8lbs per gallon. So you have 320 lbs in water plus your tank and whatever the fish weigh. I'm not an engineer but it would seem your at 1/2 the shelfs capacity. Which means you should be safe! I'm really big on only using 75% capacity at max.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
So you have 320 lbs in water plus your tank and whatever the fish weigh.
Would the fish's weight have a impact ? I would assume they are weightless in the water ? I'm no physics major though lol.

Later, Tom

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
Neither am I!! But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! I am going on the assumption that 10lbs of feeder fish are a lot of fish so they probably wouldn't significantly change the weight.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
It will have 45 lbs of gravel. And plants. This is on a wire shelving unit from Costco.

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
So your at a solid 400lbs easily I'd still call it 500 to be safe. (I always over estimate, that way no surprises)I would keep it on a lower shelf but it still sounds fine. It would seem the unit would be rated at 1000 lbs not the shelf but either way it appears your safe.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Will the aquarium fit in the shelf or outside on top? I am a little skeptical with the poles taking up a little of the space.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure I would keep an aquarium directly on wire shelving without a solid base. If the wire flexes it could cause cracks in the glass. There is a reason that every aquarium stand you see has a flat surface as the base.