4 New Additions from the Reptile Show!

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Just came back home with some new T's from the show. Pretty hyped, and have already rehoused one.
• Hapalopus sp. Columbia
• Avic. Laeta
• Avic. Purpurea
• B. Cabocla
Just rehoused the hardest T to rehouse from the additions, which was the Pumpkin patch. That thing just bolted as soon as I touched it's abdomen! Good thing I had a catch cup, and was in a plastic tub. @viper69 I know you're experienced with Avics, do the Avics I have any different cares from a Versicolor? Happy collecting!

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Same care for those Avics as others, I have noticed that purpurea are photosensitive like P. metallica and will become very skittish when the light hits them

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just came back home with some new T's from the show. Pretty hyped, and have already rehoused one.
• Hapalopus sp. Columbia
• Avic. Laeta
• Avic. Purperea
• B. Cabocla
Just rehoused the hardest T to rehouse from the additions, which was the Pumpkin patch. That thing just bolted as soon as I touched it's abdomen! Good thing I had a catch cup, and was in a plastic tub. @viper69 I know you're experienced with Avics, do the Avics I have any different cares from a Versicolor? Happy collecting!
A. laeta don't have the typical Avic disposition, they can be pretty feisty. I've only raised one A. purpurea, but I haven't noticed any differences nor treated them any differently. Mine is photosensitive unlike most of my others, but again, I've only raised one, so I wouldn't use my purp experience as the norm to be accurate.

A friend raised about 10 at the same time and she never observed the photosensitivity.

Mine is VERY prone to jumping, so cage husbandry is always a little dicey hah.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
A. laeta don't have the typical Avic disposition, they can be pretty feisty. I've only raised one A. purpurea, but I haven't noticed any differences nor treated them any differently. Mine is photosensitive unlike most of my others, but again, I've only raised one, so I wouldn't use my purp experience as the norm to be accurate.

A friend raised about 10 at the same time and she never observed the photosensitivity.

Mine is VERY prone to jumping, so cage husbandry is always a little dicey hah.
Is this okay for the purpurea?

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is this okay for the purpurea?
Sure that's fine. One thing I do is drill 4 holes in the top at the corners. It's not necessary. I do it because while many Avics will drink from a dish if thirsty (see below), many don't. In both cases my main concern is when an Avic forms a canopy up top for molting, it's weak and doesn't always come down to drink. This can be a rather dangerous situation if the owner doesn't pay attention to the abdominal size, and just thinks "my T molted, I'll wait to feed it" and forgets about it.

I've had many Avics that won't drink from dish after molting, and I've had to add in water via blunt tip syringe onto their canopy. Some Avics once over 2" may wait a month to eat, and if they don't drink, they will slowly dehydrate over time.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Sure that's fine. One thing I do is drill 4 holes in the top at the corners. It's not necessary. I do it because while many Avics will drink from a dish if thirsty (see below), many don't. In both cases my main concern is when an Avic forms a canopy up top for molting, it's weak and doesn't always come down to drink. This can be a rather dangerous situation if the owner doesn't pay attention to the abdominal size, and just thinks "my T molted, I'll wait to feed it" and forgets about it.

I've had many Avics that won't drink from dish after molting, and I've had to add in water via blunt tip syringe onto their canopy. Some Avics once over 2" may wait a month to eat, and if they don't drink, they will slowly dehydrate over time.
I second this..

To me it's one of the biggest challenges to owning avics..

For older individuals premolt and post molt can be somewhat frustrating