4$ adult Centruroides exilicauda/blue scorp in zona

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This spieces is ative to zona and i can go walk threw a feild 10 minutes from my house and lift up a long and find these guys and many other scorps/pedes i live in the outskirts of phoenix west side where there is alot of desert and fields and stuff anywayz i seen these being sold at a pet shop for 4 bucks a piece they where about 2-3 inches long id say was wondering if that is a cheap price for this spieces???While i was in there there was exterminaters buying scorps and T's to set in the main office anywayz the guy working there was asking if they new anything about a blue scorp that another exterminater found and they said they havent seen or heard of them, and i was wondering if there was a blue??? scorpion in zona or surrounding states that have blue scorps that anyone might know of??

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadrurus Obscurus has almost a blue tint to it. And i beleive it is found around your area.

Mat

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
This is the only pic I was able to find of the above mentioned species...certainly not black nor does it have a blue sheen to it...though that's not to say that there isn't a dark color morph of this species. It is possible he was mistaking the color of scorps fluorescence for the name he was using.

John
];')

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

This is the pic i was talking about......Wich one were you talking about?

Mat

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
chau0046,

That is the exact pic I was referring to...I had actually intended to post a link to it but forgot...

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
neveragain,

The pic you posted is almost certainly a darker morph of C.vittatus(Texas Bark Scorpion). They are a nice small scorp that makes a relatively good display scorpion and has relatively mild venom. Very similar in appearance to C.exilicauda with the exception of the triangular marking at the front of the head.

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/c_vittatus4.jpg

John
];')

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by neveragain
i came across this pic a while ago. i have no clue what species it is. maybe this is it?

Man those are cool looking, john did you say those are texas bark scorps are they a common scorp in the hobby?

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
neveragain,

The pic you posted is almost certainly a darker morph of C.vittatus(Texas Bark Scorpion). They are a nice small scorp that makes a relatively good display scorpion and has relatively mild venom. Very similar in appearance to C.exilicauda with the exception of the triangular marking at the front of the head.

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/c_vittatus4.jpg

John
];')
thanks. i'm actually thinking of setting up a 5 gallon tank with a few c.vittatus in the near future, but if its possible i'd rather get the ones in the picture i posted. would you (or anyone) happen to know where i can get some?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you can find any collectors, breeders, etc., around central Louisiana, that is the color morph from the higher humidity areas there and from far east Texas. There are very few hobbyist in the area that I have found, though you may be able to find a pet shop that someone is willing to go scorp hunting for you. I used to see them every time it rained at Ft. Polk, but never saw them in any locale with low humidity levels, like the lighter color morph would be commonly found in. I'll see if I can reach anyone from my old Company there, to see if any of them are willing to assist. They will be more likely to help out if they are soon to be going to the field, though the scorps often show up on the pavement at the motorpool. We'll see.

adios,
edw. ;)

Last edited: