3monthes after molt my Rosie won't eat

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
I bought my rose haired T from a local pet store 2 months ago, the owner had told me she just molted that day, her old skin was still in the cage. Since I have gotten him/her it won't eat. I tried crickets, mealworms, and dubias to no avail. I hear that they fast for long periods, I also hear it's rare to fast after a molt. Now it's abdomen is small like a tiny grape. What's going on!!!???

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
How big is the T? And how are you keeping it? Your cage setup or something in the sub may be stressing it out if the abdomen is super small. Otherwise, they do usually go on fasts. Any pics help, seems strange that it wouldn't eat after molting for that long...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
All you can do is keep the water dish full and keep offering food regularly every 1-2 weeks until she takes something.

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
I have the coco fiber sub. I have a heat pad and a day/night light that I only use when it's a cold night. Water dish and a hide, I mist it every other day to keep humidity. Its body is 2in, with leg span 4in. I've read so much but nothing I've seen is specific to my problem. Pinky walks around regularly. I've left it alone for a week then tried feeding it again and nothing.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have the coco fiber sub. I have a heat pad and a day/night light that I only use when it's a cold night. Water dish and a hide, I mist it every other day to keep humidity. Its body is 2in, with leg span 4in. I've read so much but nothing I've seen is specific to my problem. Pinky walks around regularly. I've left it alone for a week then tried feeding it again and nothing.
Coco fiber is fine.

Lose the lights. No lighting is required for tarantulas. They are nocturnal, so they're not crazy about it.

Lose the heat pad. No direct heating is required, and can be dangerous. If it gets really cold, use a space heater to heat the room.

Lose the misting. This species comes from the Chilean desert and likes it dry.

Keep the water dish topped off and keep offering food at regular intervals. That's really it.

Last edited:

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
Ok no more lights or heating pad. The water dish is always full I will try to feed him again in a week or so, if this doesn't work should I start to worry?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
It looks leggy it it a male? If so then that's probably the reason why.

Also no misting needed, no lighting needed, and no heating pads!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ok no more lights or heating pad. The water dish is always full I will try to feed him again in a week or so, if this doesn't work should I start to worry?
Not really. Adults have gone 1-2 years without eating and been perfectly fine. It's a little unusual that it didn't eat after a molt, but nothing to be alarmed over at this point. They do things on their own schedule.

boina

Lady of the mites
Everything @nicodimus22 just said!

I just want to make it a little clearer:

Light will stress your tarantula. Heat will stress your tarantula since it comes from a region that isn't all that hot. Temps above 75F are actually too high for this species. Misting will REALLY stress your tarantula, since they come from a desert. The substrate needs to be BONE DRY, as in really, completely DRY.

You've really done everything to make your tarantulas life as difficult as possible. I'm not blaming you. You probably got told all that stuff at the pet store...

On another note: From the pic I suspect that you have bought a mature male. They won't eat well anyway, so can you take a look at the palps: Do they end like all the other legs or does it look like he is wearing little boxing gloves? Maybe you can even take a pic?

Edit: Sorry I was typing while others were posting, so I just said the same things :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's a mature male. Eating is the last thing on its mind.

Expect another two years tops out of this spider. I'd suggest sending him out to be bred. I've got a girl that I wouldn't mind pairing, reach out to me if you're interested.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I could be wrong as it's kind of hard to tell from these pics, but you might need more substrate.

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
Wow!! You guys are great! Spot on! I can see the hooks on his front legs and the boxing glove pedipalps. @boina yea they told me all the wrong info at the pet store. I feel shitty now stressing pinky out. So the problem is he just wants to mate.

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
That's a mature male. Eating is the last thing on its mind.

Expect another two years tops out of this spider. I'd suggest sending him out to be bred. I've got a girl that I wouldn't mind pairing, reach out to me if you're interested.
Yea I'm interested @EulersK

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Lol yup..... my first instinct was male too when I saw the picture. Hope you didn't overpay!

Honestly though, male Ts still make great pets. You won't have him for nearly as long as a female, and you'll never see him molt (he's already had his last molt if you see the tibial hooks), but that's ok. Nothing wrong with keeping him and loving him just the same:)

Emarcoc

Arachnopeon
I got him for $40 at the pet store when I picked him out he had his old molted shell in there with him, guess I got him the day he became a man lol

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I got him for $40 at the pet store when I picked him out he had his old molted shell in there with him, guess I got him the day he became a man lol
Wow. I rescued a female of the same species a while back for $21.00. Granted it wasn't a confirmed female but $40 still seems a bit pricey for this species.