3D Printed part for enclosure

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I've recently got myself a 3D printer and decided to make a front ventilation bar with sliding door.
But I was just told that using a 3D printed part used in humid enclosure can allow bacteria growth in its crevices between the layer lines.
Would this be harmful for my T. stirmi? (I don't make the enclosure crazy humid for them like some people though)

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about, microbial growth is perfectly normal and in the vast majority of cases is benign.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Yeh I have a hard time imagining anything bad would come from it. These guys live in one of the most humid/wet habitats of any.
post some pics of the part I’m curious what all goes into designing it. Did you use a template or design it from scratch?

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I designed just a very simple one from tinkercad, the image shows the main parts that goes in the front. I sperated them because my printer can't print anything above 250mm in length.
I just finished the end stopper and still need to design the top rail for the sliding door. (Note that these are prototype that I still have to print out and test before using it)
They are specifically designed for aquaeon aquarium. It will be placed on the open side of the aquarium along with the acrylic sheet, which becomes the front side of enclosure. Top glass will be removed and replaced with an acrylic sheet with ventilation holes.

I gotta say, 3D printing is quite entertaining and practical at the same time

part.png

Last edited:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I've recently got myself a 3D printer and decided to make a front ventilation bar with sliding door.
But I was just told that using a 3D printed part used in humid enclosure can allow bacteria growth in its crevices between the layer lines.
Would this be harmful for my T. stirmi? (I don't make the enclosure crazy humid for them like some people though)
Most of my enclosures are made using parts that I 3D print, I have even printed hides and I have never experienced any issues.

I have to include that the hides are mostly just shapes (like a coconut cut in half shape) that I then cover in aquarium silicone and dip in substrate to cover the entire shape. It makes a very nice hide if you do not have access to cheap cork bark for terrestials.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You can use some acetone vapour bath to close that crevices if you are using PLA, or you can paint it too, but you should wait until it dries completely before using it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most of my enclosures are made using parts that I 3D print, I have even printed hides and I have never experienced any issues.

I have to include that the hides are mostly just shapes (like a coconut cut in half shape) that I then cover in aquarium silicone and dip in substrate to cover the entire shape. It makes a very nice hide if you do not have access to cheap cork bark for terrestials.
Post some pics- I’d love to see what people are doing on this.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Post some pics- I’d love to see what people are doing on this.
Sure thing, I will be back home by Thursday then I'll post some pictures. Like I said though it's nothing fancy, just a halved coconut shape with sub glued on:rofl: but again cork bark is insanely expensive here so maybe it'll help some people with ideas on affordable hides. I have seen some keepers here using hollow plastic (not sure what it's called exactly, used in home construction) that they cut in half and also take aquarium silicone and substrate to make arboreal hides. It's obviously not as appealing to the eye as cork bark but I am sure the T doesn't mind :D

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I've been slacking working on the enclosure, but I've finished it. I decided to just do a hinged door instead of sliding door as it would be most efficient and easier to design.
The vents are on the front and top rear with each hole being 2mm x 20mm. Hope these will be enough vents for my T. stirmi along with few different live plants. (pothos,Ficus pumila, and club moss for now)

20201210_215453 (2).jpg

bearthemighty

Arachnopeon
I've been slacking working on the enclosure, but I've finished it. I decided to just do a hinged door instead of sliding door as it would be most efficient and easier to design.
The vents are on the front and top rear with each hole being 2mm x 20mm. Hope these will be enough vents for my T. stirmi along with few different live plants. (pothos,Ficus pumila, and club moss for now)

View attachment 368556
looks amazing. how did you get the top hinge of the door to attach to the aquarium rim? and is the top panel acrylic? if so can I ask how you removed the original glass panel? I want to do something similar for one of my animals.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Watching this. Might be a good repository for people's 3D printed work....or a new thread for that.

I have been using printed tops for quite a while and am about to buy my own printer as I have lots of ideas I'd like to try out.

That enclosure is very nice looking. May I ask the dimensions? I have 5 Theraphosa coming up and am trying to start planning ahead