30 Gallon tank. what would you do?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oka as the title of the thread implies I have a 30 gallon tank.. and I am interested in everyones suggestions as to what kind of communal set up I should do with it. all input is appreciated!

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oka as the title of the thread implies I have a 30 gallon tank.. and I am interested in everyones suggestions as to what kind of communal set up I should do with it. all input is appreciated!
I'd go to home depot, get those thin plexi's and start dividing that tank then I'd put 4 different desert species {D

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I have all my desert species in their own tanks though... I wanted to go for a big communal set up.

Last edited:

SkorpNtrants

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I myself would make a naturalistic set up, and maybe have a few emperor scorpions in there.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
quiz- Thank you very much for the suggestion I will definately look into those.

skorpNtrants- I considered emps but already have 2 set up in a smaller cage and was thinking of something a little "different" thank you for the suggestion though.. its still on the list :p

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
does anyone keep A.mauritanicus communally? and how about anyones suggestions for a good communal bark scorpion sp. set up! that would be nice.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i have a 40 Gal tank EMPTY... Too big to fit in my room...well i'm not sure if it's still my room or my scorpion's room. But if i had room for it, i'll buy more A. bicolor then split the tank and use 1/2 for my 5 L.q hebraus and the other side for 8 A. bicolor....of course i don't have 8..Just 2 :(
So if anyone close to L.A might have use for the tank let me know. We can trade it for scorpions.

-.Raul

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
any of the Centruroide species would make a nice large communal group, Gracilis, or a lesser amount of Margaritatus. They would be large and easier to see at least. Less work involved with dirt, but you would have to watch where you put your hands :)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks! I have a couple sp. I would consider already.. perhaps a split with two 15gal setups.. and for L.q.hebraeus do they do well communally? cause I have a male and female.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would personally make a very asthetic setup with alot of cover and LITTER the tank with C. gracilis... it would make a nice conversational piece in a living room lol.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a possibly gravid C.gracillis and I am sure I could look for more.. I wanted to do it as a conversation piece.. have it be a very beautiful setup just do maintenance with a black light on so there arent any surprises :D do you know how many C.gracilis could go in a 30 gallon?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't go around telling people I said this (cause I may possibly be wrong LOL, and if so someone who has them will correct me :)) but I woud say at least 20-25. Usually they say about 1 per gallon, but I was thinking since they are climbers, you can have tons of space above ground level with careful planning. I have also thought of a "two-tier" design in the past, I got the idea from snake and reptile tanks that have shaped styrofoam, unfortuantely I'm not good at constructing things, lol. I would probaly do like 20 or so then start to do more after observing how spread out the end up and where the norms are that they hang. I think it was Brian who had a large tank with 2 females with clutches at the same time with no problems, which is awesome.

Ed

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks Ed sounds good. you meant for the 15 gallons or for the full 30? I like the C.gracilis they are very nice looking scorps. and Tityus sp. that are good for communal set ups? or perhaps just Babycurus jacksoni. hmmm..

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well if you went with just the regular 1 scorp/5gal, then you would get about 6 Gracilis in there.....BUT...Gracilis are alot more social than that usually, 15 shouldn't really be a problem I dont think if you keep plenty of low level and vertical hides.

Someone might correct me though.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Having some communal bark scorps in a nicely set-up tank would be awesome. It could look sort of like a fish-tank only a little more freaky:cool: .
Split tanks don't tend to look that great in my experience. It's really nice to have a well done set-up and just chill while your animals are cruising about.
If you go with gracilis having a couple of different color morphs would make it even more interesting. My understanding of gracilis is that they are very communal and will literally lie on each other/huddle together.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
put a gator in it....

just kidding, how about an A. mauritanicus setup, that'd be cool...