30 gallon palidrium?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this nice 30 gallon tank from a friend, Iam planning on gluing gravel to the back of the tank to make it a natural background. I plan on making a semi aquatic set up. The land area will either have gravel or sand. I dont think Id use dirt, since its an aquatic set up and Id like to make it look like a beach to an extent. Or if not a beach, a creek, or some type of body of the sort. Iam planning on using live plants but I have a different method of keeping them alive on their own. The plants will be potted(dirt) and that is the only area I think will have dirt, but I will cover it with gravel. I saw this youtube video, where this guy did this awesome tank I think it was for firebelly toads and newts? I think i also saw another one like it, but it was fire belly toads and green tree frog. It had half land and half water, the half land, was constructed from plexiglass, but it had a running creek in the middle of the area, so the land area was split into twos, by the running water(which was only 1inch deep), which it fell onto the aquatic area. I was thinking of keeping a frog, but I already have toads, and they are pretty innactive(rarely moves, except when meal time), which Iam okay with. But iam looking for something that will be moving every so often(atleast a good couple of hours during daylight.).
Lets just say what I want to do is like a fountain kind of thing. You know those fountains they sell at stores like walmart, lowes and home depot? The ones that are black, and are made of a type of plastic? Where they ussually show them off, with some common goldfish? You know how the water comes down from one area to another area to come back up again? Well I want to do something similar to that. I actually have a pump thats from zoo meds thats supposed to be for a water fall, and I was thinking I could use that, or this other pump I got thats for turtles(its really small and not super strong to make a strong current. Appart from that Id put in a filter that would be hidden as well, and a heater that would also be hidden. I would go for a frog, but honestly sides from fire belly toads, i dont know what other frogs appreciate a set up like this and are active. In any case, i dont mind if the animal requires some salinity. Or if it needs softer or harder water. I got all of those things down. I just want sometihng that lives atleast past 4years or so and is somewhat active(doesnt hide atleast and is out and going for a good couple of hours). I was thinking I could go with fiddler crabs, but I keep reading they only last 2 years at most. I dont know what the truth is on that, I know you guys recommended me another type of crab along time ago, It was purple looking(not a halloween crab), and was apparently rare. Id like something that wouldnt be an overall hassle to find. Id go for a halloween crab because they look nice but I remember reading they are mainly terrestrials and wouldnt care for a semi aquatic tank like that. Same goes for hermit crabs. That and I have no clue how to care for hermit crabs(I actually forgot... since its been along time since I had my last trio). I found these aquatic spiders where I live. They where yellow, had orange butt, and a white stripe running down the middle. But where too small for me to even think about. That and I dont think spiders may be good for me since they are 90% of the time lazy. I was thnking of looking into newts, but I had one once and it just hid constantly, untill the five year life span was up. Id go for snakes, but I dont know any that are active and wouldnt mind this much water and also stay pretty small. People who live in my house are terrifieds of snakes. So yeah.

Ps. Nice to be back. Sorry about the long post, but Id like to get some answers please!

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want crabs, maybe vampire crabs, although I don't know what their life span is like, but I've heard 5-6 years (they apparently breed well in captivity, so that might not be an issue)

http://www.crustaforum.com/board/showthread.php?658-Vampire-crabs-Geosesarma-sp.
Yeah those were the ones suggested to me. But Iam wondering if there are any other choices for a tank this big? If its by like, I do love water spiders(Iam not sure my parents agree), but id like to know. I also like reptiles. I like aquatic insects in general as well. Aka water bugs, diving beetles, etc.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Newts are going to be lazy too. We have a 55 gallon set up we're in the process of building. We are doing it for Leopard frogs. These guys like to sit in the water as well as on land. They sit still until someone walks by the tank {D. Honestly, most frogs,even tree frogs given the right decor, would probably appreciate a setup like this. Vietnamese mossy frogs come to mind.

As far as snakes, no snake I can think of will do fine with a water side, stay small, not be prone to scale rot, and not venomous. :D Diving beetles and water scavenger beetles are fun but they don't live very long and the wsb like to hide underwater. It's a lot of fun to feed them a cube of bloodworms, watch them try to drag it to the surface, and only sink back down. {D

If it is half land, half water, you don't necessarily have to have an animal that will make a large use of the water side. You could do something like a small lizard (though you won't be able to use sand or gravel) and have small fish in the water side. Long tailed lizards and a couple of anoles are great for these. If you want something that uses both areas and are active, crabs are probably your best bet if frogs are out.

What glue are you using? Aquarium silicone?

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
I would consider some fish, possibly some small newts, and small geckos and/or frogs. Bear in mind that larger water beetles and water bugs tend to be predatory, and that can include small fish and even smaller caudates.