3 terrestrials in a compartmentalized "aquarium" ?

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! I went a bit off-topic with my "introduce yourself" post regarding housing so I'll re-post here in hope of some wisdom from you lovely lot. I recently purchased my first three T's with separate Exo-Terras from a previous owner. They are all sub-adult/adult of the following species: Achantoscurria geniculata, Brachypelma aurata and a Davus fasciatus. But thanks to some excellent tips from user "Cold Blood" I now know that the Exo-Terras are not recommended for terrestrials.

Sorry to say, those enclosures, having the front opening doors, are arboreal enclosures and should only house terrestrials if modified so that the front door is on the top. Those are about the most expensive enclosures you can buy for a t, which is why I expect they were suggested by a motivated seller. Cheaper enclosures are not always worse, in fact some of the best enclosures are also the cheapest (sterilite).
Which brings me to the question(s): I have an unused aquarium with the following measurements: 14" (35cm) tall / 14" (35cm) deep / 30" (77cm) wide. Would sectioning this off into three compartments with 4" substrate be an option? Would it be stressful for the animals regarding each others pheromones, vibrations and so on? Now that I'm doing the math maybe two compartments would be better with the smaller D. Fasciatus in a separate enclosure. Thoughts?

Lots of crittery love from Oslo, Norway

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That would work for those species, all have similar temp/humidity requirements. I wouldn't divide it equally in 3 though. Consider the full grown size of each and proportionate it accordingly.
A. geniculata 14x14x12
B. auratum 14x14x10
D. pentaloris 14x14x8 (D. fasciatus has never been in the hobby)
there is a recent paper about the C. fasiatum, C. pentalore, D. fasciatus, D. pentaloris. changes.

http://www.tarantupedia.com/aviculariinae/ray-gabriel (click the PDF link for full paper)
True D. fasciatus pic
http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0890

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
A. geniculata 14x14x12
B. auratum 14x14x10
D. pentaloris 14x14x8 (D. fasciatus has never been in the hobby)
there is a recent paper about the C. fasiatum, C. pentalore, D. fasciatus, D. pentaloris. changes.
Thanks for the brilliant info! Here's a photo (also posted in "ID") in case you have any ideas:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That almost looks like a young GBB more than anything. Not quite sure what that T is. Usually D. pentaloris has that classic pink on the carapace, but I have no idea :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the brilliant info! Here's a photo (also posted in "ID") in case you have any ideas:

That is not a D.fasciatus. It is a C.cyaneopubescens, otherwise known as a Green Bottle Blue, and it is a sling/juvenile, depending on how big it is.
When dividing an enclosure, you have to build it so that you are 100% sure there are no gaps, weak links, hidey holes or anything like that, because if you fail to notice something like that, you'll end up with 1 very large T. Which would be a shame.
I think the GBB can be housed in an Exo Terra, just pack the substrate higher in a slope towards the back, and add lots of anchor points for webbing.
The Exo Terra is unsuitable for the B.auratum and the A.geniculata, do you have a size on them?

cold blood

Staff member
Huh, and I answered this question over on the introduction thread:meh::banghead:

Please do not use divided enclosures...terrible idea for tarantulas. Separate ts, separate housing...don't try to get fancy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Huh, and I answered this question over on the introduction thread:meh::banghead:

Please do not use divided enclosures...terrible idea for tarantulas. Separate ts, separate housing...don't try to get fancy.
Maybe you weren't convincing enough? hahahah :wacky:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Scorps and insects that can't climb do well in them though, problem is for T's you need a custom lid too to make sure they won't get out :(