3 New Gems: Encyocratella olivacea

VinceG

Arachnobaron
These are awesome ts! nice cage too! They'll have a lot of space ;)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
They are fun....

I will be interested to see if they stay aboreal in your aboreal set-up (Nice by the way). I have raised several and when they were first described as aboreal to me I put them in aboreal set-ups. I soon realized they went straight to the ground and chose not too use their sky spinning skills ever. I am interested to see what they do and if others have their E.O.'s hopping trees or scooting dirt? I since have gone to a terest set up for all of them and now have all of my new little ones from Ken as well clinging to the ground even though they are in tall aboreal deli's with cork.

Your thoughts?::?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are nice Ts and good looking enclosures, but the enclosures are over kill for 1 inch slings.

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
I will be interested to see if they stay aboreal in your aboreal set-up (Nice by the way)... I have raised several and when they were first described as aboreal to me I put them in aboreal set-ups. I soon realized they went straight to the ground and chose not too use their sky spinning skills ever. I am interested to see what they do and if others have their E.O.'s hopping trees or scooting dirt? I since have gone to a terest set up for all of them and now have all of my new little ones from Ken as well clinging to the ground even though they are in tall aboreal deli's with cork.

Your thoughts?::?
I've also heard people saying they are semi-arboreal, like GBB, and do well in both terrestrial and arboreal set-ups. At the moment all three of them are crawling the walls and logs in their cages and don't seem like wanting to go on the ground. But it's too soon to tell how they like it. By the way, here's a nice description of the species: Presumptive Habitat of Encyocratella olivacea

Those are nice Ts and good looking enclosures, but the enclosures are over kill for 1 inch slings.
Well, I kind of thought about getting them smaller cages, but then decided to go with these ones, since I already have some experience raising slings in cages much bigger than they require and never had problems with any of them. My first 3 slings - pulchra, gbb and redknee - all were less than 1 inch when I got them and I raised them in 5.5 gallon tanks.

Here's Blackie on the day of her arrival with her tank under my hand :)

and this is her now

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Several lol .....

Several lol but hese happend to be on the ground dead and what looks like a well established ground webbing and not in the tree.......wee.............:D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never heard of or seen this most beautiful tarantula. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to put it on my wanted list. Very cool! Any info on venom potency or temperment?

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats!!! hands down great choice of T....
Still on my to get list...
It has been over a year and a half ago, when they last had them up for sale, around here.... then only three this year and they where from someone else collect.... and was sold before it was even posted....

also you might want to put them in a smaller enclosure till they get a little bigger... Like Jake said those Enclosures are great!!! But a bit overkill for the slings.....

Enjoy your new T's....

Peace,
Armando

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Mean

MEAN MEAN MEAN {D. I have held my adults with extreme caution. However, everyone I have owned rears up and flickers at me immediatley. Especially my males have been very agressive and fast. As far as venom goes ? I don't ever plan on getting bit.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also notice that my 2 specimens like to be on the ground. I have them in a terrestrial setup for now (cube) to see what they do. When they were in a vial, they just webbed up the lower half and made a ditch to lie in. I'm thinking GBB type of scenario as well.
Also I just found out about these 2 months ago. I was told it was the rich man's OBT. {D
I Love them!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about leg spans? Any idea of what they reach? Male and female?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Taranthla Homes, Talon ?'s, & Young Boy

Thanks for the input youngboy and it seems many are joining the ranks of ground dwellers for the E.O.'s.

"I don't know much about their temperament" As I stated, they are mean and not scared of anything as adults Tarantula Holmes.

Talon & Homes: "What about leg spans? Any idea of what they reach? Male and female?
"Here's another article on this species that I've found. It says adult females reach body length of... "

As was stated they do average around 5". Here are some pics of my E.O.'s as adults in the breeding section http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186927 . Its great that you are reading up on them as well though Homes let me know if you have any other ?'s

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice score! As long as they find their prey, the enclosure size is fine. I would add more to it personally, to give them the chance to decide if they want to live close to the ground or up abit.

JoeRossi..did you notice that the pic of the E. olivacea in Timo Raabs article is cropped? You have no idea of where that web is in relation to where the spider lives. Is that why you have such a beauty species on wood chips with a water dish? In the article it clearly states that the specimens observed in their natural habitat, were found in between layers of peeling tree bark...on a tree. Which to me is higher than the ground. At least give them a chance to do what they will IMO.
Something like this...not barren with just a water dish.
[YOUTUBE]BbgGadLR_ew[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: