3 crickets at once?

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Its feeding day today, I just planned on putting one cricket in her enclosure but 3 fell in, my 3 inch G. pulchripes grabbed one, two & then as I was just getting close enough to the 3rd cricket to grab it, she got it too. Does anyones T do this? Im curious to see if she will eat all of them? Kim

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, larger spiders can handle multiple crickets at once. Yeah, she'll eat them all.

I saw a juvie P. cam kill a cricket, web it to the side, kill a second cricket, web it to the side, then kill the third cricket, gather all three, and eat.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Its feeding day today, I just planned on putting one cricket in her enclosure but 3 fell in, my 3 inch G. pulchripes grabbed one, two & then as I was just getting close enough to the 3rd cricket to grab it, she got it too. Does anyones T do this? Im curious to see if she will eat all of them? Kim
Hey, aren't you that person that sent that guy a ton of dead tarantulas and scorpions because you bought Priority 2-5 days instead of 2-3?
Erm, anyways, there's something called power feeding that people do to make their tarantulas grow faster. They put a ton of crickets so there will always be a supply for the tarantula. Personally, I have not done this. But my T did have an appetite for 2 large crickets in 1 day when I accidentally put in an extra. I feed mine every 2 days.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I bet Robc's Zilla or Fran's T.blondi could have taken 15 crickets in one go.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Erm, anyways, there's something called power feeding that people do to make their tarantulas grow faster. They put a ton of crickets so there will always be a supply for the tarantula.
Can you provide a link to a thread that describes this as powerfeeding?

Also, Priority shipping is always 2-3 days, but your comment regarding that was completely uncalled for and off-topic.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bet Robc's Zilla or Fran's T.blondi could have taken 15 crickets in one go.
Yes, they do. :)
Large Blondi and Parahybana are notorious to grab a bunch of crickets OR roaches at the same time, instead of getting pissed at the next pray that wonders around while they are feeding already.

The female true Blondi I have now dont even look at the crickets, like if they were simply to tinny for them to care :)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Can you provide a link to a thread that describes this as powerfeeding?

Also, Priority shipping is always 2-3 days, but your comment regarding that was completely uncalled for and off-topic.
The link is called The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. I read it somewhere there, forgot the page.
Found it. Page 294, 2nd column, lines 6-10, The Tarantula Keeper's Guide Revised Edition.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Powerfeeding is simply feeding "in excess", constantly, so the T bulks up, molt faster and mature faster.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My G. rosea adult female will take 5-6 crickets and make a big, mushy cricket ball and nom away on it lol I normally just feed one prey item at a time now, but recently I've tried throwing two roaches in to certain Ts who I know are voracious, and they handle it well :)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why should I? I'm the owner, not you ;) .
Keep going then. I don't care that much. I just wanted you to know that it's unnecessary and you can get away with once a week...You know...slow metabolism and all...some could even go around 2 years without eating if they had to...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The link is called The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. I read it somewhere there, forgot the page.
Found it. Page 294, 2nd column, lines 6-10, The Tarantula Keeper's Guide Revised Edition.
Can you (or anyone else) please provide the direct quote?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Keep going then. I don't care that much. I just wanted you to know that it's unnecessary and you can get away with once a week...You know...slow metabolism and all...some could even go around 2 years without eating if they had to...
If my tarantula eats the food, obviously it wants the food.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Well, if you want to get technical...

Tarantulas don't "want" food. It is in their survival instincts to eat what passes by their face, if of an appropriate size.

That being said... sometimes I feed my Ts daily, because I enjoy spending the time with them. As long as you're monitoring the size of your T's abdomen and not overdoing it, it shouldn't matter what feeding schedule you choose.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Can you (or anyone else) please provide the direct quote?
"If a few crickets are kept in the cage with them at all times, so that they may eat whenever hungry, the tarantulas may mature several months to several years earlier than expected."

This was in the "powerfeeding" paragraph. Note the "if".
In the previous sentences it defines powerfeeding as pretty much what Fran said.

Even if the TKG suggested this, it's still a bad idea, IMO. It pretty much guarantees that a cricket will be in there during a molt.
If you powerfeed, remove the prey item that's refused, and try again in the next feeding. It's safer that way.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"If a few crickets are kept in the cage with them at all times, so that they may eat whenever hungry, the tarantulas may mature several months to several years earlier than expected."

This was in the "powerfeeding" paragraph. Note the "if".
In the previous sentences it defines powerfeeding pretty much what Fran said.

Even if the TKG suggested this, it's still a bad idea, IMO. It pretty much guarantees that a cricket will be in there during a molt.
If you powerfeed, remove the prey item that's refused, and try again in the next feeding. It's safer that way.
Thank you, sir.

I agree with you - bad idea to keep food items in the cage at all times. I'd like to include that it may actually be a source of stress of the tarantula is in premolt or otherwise not interested in eating.

This post screams 'ignorance'.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Well, if you want to get technical...

Tarantulas don't "want" food. It is in their survival instincts to eat what passes by their face, if of an appropriate size.

That being said... sometimes I feed my Ts daily, because I enjoy spending the time with them. As long as you're monitoring the size of your T's abdomen and not overdoing it, it shouldn't matter what feeding schedule you choose.
That is not correct, for the simple fact that tarantula refuses prey at times, and days or hours later , catch them.

So , at some point, they do "choose".