3-4cm OBT Safe Enclosure?

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Hi all, looking at getting an OBT with a 3-4cm leg span, but struggling to decide what the appropriate size enclosure would be. I asked the breeder and was told "at least 30cm long as they grow quickly", but after looking at the Exo Terra Faunariums, I'd be concerned that a spider of that size may disappear out of the vents.

Any ideas please? Cheers :happy:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve kept mine in critter keeper for about two or three molts from that size.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Ah ok, I'm not sure we get those over here (UK), when I searched it it just gave me a link to those Exo Terra faunariums. What was the size of the one you used please?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Or go search for any clear acrylic shoe case that looks like these:

2294C1DC-FB09-46D9-A64D-721C2CF4F3F7.jpeg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Ah ok, I'm not sure we get those over here (UK), when I searched it it just gave me a link to those Exo Terra faunariums. What was the size of the one you used please?
Do a search Critter Keeper UK, they pop up.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Do a search Critter Keeper UK, they pop up.
hmm, the only ones I'm seeing having expensive shipping/import. I'll definitely look again, though.

Either way, are they that different to the exo terras? I just don't know what size to get, or even if I should risk it with those style of tanks having the plastic mesh type lids.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
This is what I'm looking at, too large for 3-4cm? Bearing in mind i'd add a good few inches of substrate too.

1612300311058.png

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Have you looked at the Exo Terra Breeding boxes? Also, their Faunariums don't have massive ventilation slots so I wouldn't imagine you'd have cause for concern.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Have you looked at the Exo Terra Breeding boxes? Also, their Faunariums don't have massive ventilation slots so I wouldn't imagine you'd have cause for concern.
Yes I did :) wasn't sure if they were tall enough to allow for burrowing if the T wants to, but will definitely take another look. Yeah, perhaps I'm being a little overly cautious worrying with the slots.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
it would be big, they have smaller versions. But I am guessing you could make it work, and may last it a lifetime. Making sure it found its feeders would be the key
Yeah, I was thinking that it may be a bit too big, which is why I was a bit confused when the chap said at least 30cm length, haha.
I'll take a look at some smaller ones

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Yes I did :) wasn't sure if they were tall enough to allow for burrowing if the T wants to, but will definitely take another look. Yeah, perhaps I'm being a little overly cautious worrying with the slots.
Aye, understandable! I've got a few mini and small faunariums - I don't know how the larger sizes differ, but the ventilation is probably only wide enough to slot a coin through

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Aye, understandable! I've got a few mini and small faunariums - I don't know how the larger sizes differ, but the ventilation is probably only wide enough to slot a coin through
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks :)

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Giving obt's room to dig is great but so is added height.
They web an awful lot and tend to build a castle that gives them a ladder out.
Critter keeper type enclosures are good. Same goes for taller food storage containers. Go just a little big with these guys and you won't regret it.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You would be best off checking AliExpress.They sell the same damn acrylic enclosures in the states for like twice what you guys have over there. If you got a digger then get the cereal dispenser. Otherwise what everyone else is saying as far as the container store equivalent is cool.

AliExpress

AliExpress

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I would worry about one that size slipping through the vents. I just would buy a 1-3 gallon food container and drill small holes in it. OBTs you can go a bit bigger with their enclosures IMO because they web, they dig, and they grow fast.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I went ahead and got this for the meantime until it's a little bigger, just to stop me from worrying lol. I have one for a juvie T.albo and it's great, really secure magnetic lock on the lid too.

1612425859461.png

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I went ahead and got this for the meantime until it's a little bigger, just to stop me from worrying lol. I have one for a juvie T.albo and it's great, really secure magnetic lock on the lid too.

View attachment 374490
those are great boxes. You will love the rare earth magnetic clasps. There's about 3 companies now with similar products, I have 2, 1 with a C marshalli and 1 with my second GBB

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
those are great boxes. You will love the rare earth magnetic clasps. There's about 3 companies now with similar products, I have 2, 1 with a C marshalli and 1 with my second GBB
Strong magnets? I'm always skeptical if I can't test it out at the POS. I like rare-earth mags, but some I've seen make me wonder.