3/4 to 1 inch tarantula enclosure

iericcartman

Arachnopeon
Hello there. I'm about to purchase my first tarantula, the site I'm purchasing them from is listing the species to be between 3/4-1 inch Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

The site is jamiestarantulas.com, and I'm planning on buying an enclosure from there as well. They have recommendations on what the size of the T should be for it to be well housed in the different sizes. The enclosure for spiderlings are recommended for T's under 1 inch and seem to be cutting it close for the size of the T they have. The one for juvenile seems to be slightly too large, recommended at around 3 inches. The T seems to be significantly smaller than 3 inches, plus the sites measurements could be slightly off.

I'm brand new to this world of tarantulas, I'm at a bit of a pickle on which one I should get. I feel that it'll outgrow the sling size enclosure rather fast, but I'm not sure if the juvenile would be too large. The juvenile enclosure measures 4" square x 5" tall, while the sling enclosure measures 2 1/4" square x 4 1/4" tall, measurements copied from the site information.

Based on what I've researched I know they like their enclosures on the smaller side, but how small is too small?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't know any experienced keepers that bother with those wastes of money..
I think k they're just geared towards the beginner keeper wanting the most expensive ("best") stuff for their new pet.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Plastic salad/soufflée containers are the way to go. I always make sure the sharp "edge" of the air holes gets poked towards the outside, but it probably doesn't matter if you do it the other way. I use needles or thumb tacks to poke the holes and using this type of container is a great way to make sure the inside doesn't get too stuffy.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I had my GBB in a Ferrero Rocher box at that size ;)

GBB_new enclosure.jpg GBB_new enclosure2.jpg On top of the world2.jpg

All you have to do is to make the sacrifice of eating a box of Ferrero Rocher. :hungry:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I find the deli cups to be best for slings and heat a sewing needle on a gas cooker to melt air holes that way you don't get cracks or sharp edges