3/4 sling in exo terra nano

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
So I wanted to thank u all for preventing me to have my sling eaten by my cats (2 voracious very live eating predators) !!
Also I just ordered this :
http://imgur.com/gallery/TRkPLm5

When the sling come itll get settled in a tupperware (which is hideous) and I wanted a display tank, thats why I ordered this one , which will also allow me to put a lot of substrate for lil bulldozer to work ! It is rather large so itll have time to grow up in this (I think itlll last at leat 2 yrs) .
Thanks yall for the good advices ! As I never kept any spider before it was really helpful ! (I only had reptiles, rats, hamsters, cats and dogs)

✌✌✌✌
Are those mesh vents?

Feral

Arachnobaron
So I wanted to thank u all for preventing me to have my sling eaten by my cats (2 voracious very live eating predators) !!
Also I just ordered this :
http://imgur.com/gallery/TRkPLm5

When the sling come itll get settled in a tupperware (which is hideous) and I wanted a display tank, thats why I ordered this one , which will also allow me to put a lot of substrate for lil bulldozer to work ! It is rather large so itll have time to grow up in this (I think itlll last at leat 2 yrs) .
Thanks yall for the good advices ! As I never kept any spider before it was really helpful ! (I only had reptiles, rats, hamsters, cats and dogs)

✌✌✌✌
Is makes me so happy to hear! Both you and your new friend will be better off, for sure.

I'm someone, like you, who really loves making display tanks. Like, superduperüber loves it! All of my critters are decked out in lovingly scaped homes. And yours did turn out very beautifully, excellent job aesthetically speaking! What I like most is the challenge of figuring out a way to make it both an ideal enclosure for the creature and meet (exceede) all of his wants/needs, while simultaneously making it as visually appealing to a people (me) as I can. And then you make predications about behavior and get to see how the animal interacts with his new environment, which can be fascinating. (An extra challenge can be getting into biomes, but that's a quite few levels up.) All this is definitely more challenging, especially for a n00b who is still getting the very basics of husbandry down. But if you're willing to put in a lot of thought, research, and work, adapt, know that this type of enclosure is an evolution/process and be accepting of changes as they come... and always always put the creature first... a beginner can do it.

I applaud your willingness to listen to advice and keep your animals' welfare ahead of everything else!

Also, in case you didn't know (because I didn't when I started):
Beware of cats!

You mentioned you have cats. Please make sure your T is securely behind a latched door (spare room, closet, cabinet with hook, etc.). Don't trust your cats to ignore, even if they always behaved themselves in the past. Cats absolutely "hunt" Ts and/or the feeders in with them. And it's all tears and guilt from there, trust.

Are those mesh vents?
It's my understanding and my experience that the slings and young juvies don't have tarsal claws big enough to get stuck, or fangs sturdy enough/enough body strength to tear through. I use aluminum screen vents on my juvenile T enclosures and B. lat enclosures.
But someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

Selmartillery

Arachnopeon
Are those mesh vents?
Yes and I said previously I was going to replace it with a plexiglas (acrylic) panel. ;)

Is makes me so happy to hear! Both you and your new friend will be better off, for sure.

I'm someone, like you, who really loves making display tanks. Like, superduperüber loves it! All of my critters are decked out in lovingly scaped homes. And yours did turn out very beautifully, excellent job aesthetically speaking! What I like most is the challenge of figuring out a way to make it both an ideal enclosure for the creature and meet (exceede) all of his wants/needs, while simultaneously making it as visually appealing to a people (me) as I can. And then you make predications about behavior and get to see how the animal interacts with his new environment, which can be fascinating. (An extra challenge can be getting into biomes, but that's a quite few levels up.) All this is definitely more challenging, especially for a n00b who is still getting the very basics of husbandry down. But if you're willing to put in a lot of thought, research, and work, adapt, know that this type of enclosure is an evolution/process and be accepting of changes as they come... and always always put the creature first... a beginner can do it.

I applaud your willingness to listen to advice and keep your animals' welfare ahead of everything else!
I also think like you. I want it to be pleasing to the eye but I truly believe it can only be postive and wholefully beautiful if its is similiar to the natural environment of the critter. Any environement can and will be beautiful if created with all that in mind. Im actually gathering knowledge to create a tropical biome (itll take at least 2 years to settle by introducing a few species at a time) in the form of a paludarium for centrally dart frogs in a 180 liters -or more if I ad heights - aquarium. I dont know which species of plants and critters I am going to introduce by now Im still archtecturing the thing by gathering all kinds of informations, but basically a Pond with its bacteria and cleaning crew critters (snails, shrimp etc - I will certainly have to start with a filter to establish it and then wont need it when the cleaning crew will be autonomous) with a pump for a dripping wall, I want it to be progressive with like "beaches" and the deepest point at 15 cm. Then one or two small fish (have to be careful that the population of critters be adequate and not eliminated by the fish, pH levels etc) in the same time getting the right isopods and springtails into the forest part with bromelias and other tropical plants whenever it stabilises Ill introduce the dart frogs and Im reasearching if a tropical arboreal gecko could be introduced. Im very excited by this project but itll take a lot of time to eatablish and actually start !!

Also, in case you didn't know (because I didn't when I started):
Beware of cats!

You mentioned you have cats. Please make sure your T is securely behind a latched door (spare room, closet, cabinet with hook, etc.). Don't trust your cats to ignore, even if they always behaved themselves in the past. Cats absolutely "hunt" Ts and/or the feeders in with them. And it's all tears and guilt from there, trust.
Im very aware of that and my cats are really tiny tigers and very live food motivated, one of them actually killed a weasel and ate it partially. Theyeat a variety of things mice, rats weasels, smal rabbits when they find it, spiders, crickets anything that moves basically.... they roam free outside (I live in the Alps, 30 km away from any main city, I have only 9 neighbors ^^). So yeah I HAVE to secure the enclosure someway. I live in a loft-like chalet there are only 3 doors in my place the kitchen door, the bathroom door and the main entrance door so I cant have like a reptile room or anything...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have an A.seemanni adult that's been settled in its enclosure for a year, but I occasionally still find it upside-down on the ceiling every now and then. Spiders are going to spider, if you want them to or not.

I would put the sling in a deli cup or similar and buy something else for the exoterra, it's going to be a long while till that sling is big enough for it.
What can you put on the mesh ? So tarantulas don’t climb on it.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What can you put on the mesh ? So tarantulas don’t climb on it.
They will always climb if they want to. You can't prevent it. Now, it's our job to make sure it's safe for them to climb, meaning no mesh where they can get stuck in and not too much height so, they won't get hurt if they fall.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Im very aware of that and my cats are really tiny tigers and very live food motivated, one of them actually killed a weasel and ate it partially. Theyeat a variety of things mice, rats weasels, smal rabbits when they find it, spiders, crickets anything that moves basically.... they roam free outside (I live in the Alps, 30 km away from any main city, I have only 9 neighbors ^^). So yeah I HAVE to secure the enclosure someway. I live in a loft-like chalet there are only 3 doors in my place the kitchen door, the bathroom door and the main entrance door so I cant have like a reptile room or anything...
I have book cases with Perspex sheets that slide down the front of them to keep the turdbags (4 cats) out. I have plastic angles as runners fixed over the edge of the book case, so there just enough gap for the Perspex sheet between the front of the bookcase and inside of the angle (not sure that makes sense!).

Look for some kind of display cabinet with a door, of if you only plan to have a few, an old style wood reptile enclosure with sliding doors would be ideal to put your t enclosures in.

Sounds like you live in a beautiful area by the way. :)

Selmartillery

Arachnopeon
I have book cases with Perspex sheets that slide down the front of them to keep the turdbags (4 cats) out. I have plastic angles as runners fixed over the edge of the book case, so there just enough gap for the Perspex sheet between the front of the bookcase and inside of the angle (not sure that makes sense!).

Look for some kind of display cabinet with a door, of if you only plan to have a few, an old style wood reptile enclosure with sliding doors would be ideal to put your t enclosures in.

Sounds like you live in a beautiful area by the way. :)
Thanks for the advice !

Yeah my place is magical we are very lucky to live there http://imgur.com/gallery/YXYHrzJ

So my T is coming tomorrow im very excited. So I have settled a temporary tupperware (waiting for the actylic display tank to arrive).

Here it is : http://imgur.com/gallery/Da1l7yL

I already named my T Midora (its the name of one of the gods of death in Death Note... as she is a G. Pulchripes And will look like as if she had a skeleton marked on it it felt right ^^)

Oh and im using she even if shes unsexed just to wishful think a bit ^^

Guys Im so worried I thought my T was coming today. (I didnt even bother to look at the tracking)
I was too excited so I slept for like 3 hours xD
When the mail woman came there was none. So I checked the tracking and it actually didnt even reached Switzerland (its coming from a reputable breeder in Poland). It says its left the borders of Poland on the 16th, last record of the package.

I am worried because that means itll stay on transit for yet another 2 to three days (at least).
The T was sent last monday (It a G. Pulchripes for the ones that didnt know or forgot ). I really hope the little one will arrive safe and sound.
I'll be really really sad if I had to unwrap a tiny corpse :( :(

How worried should I be ?
The temperatures are not freezing in Switzerland but it is still on the cold side at night

Edit : I checked the tracking again a few mins ago. It arrived at the swiss customs. Hopefully Monday it will be here

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, at this point all you can do is keep your fingers crossed and pray. A week or even more in transit for a sling could be too long, especially when the temperature drops to 6-10 C in the night. No heat pack will last that long. I hope your sling will arrive alive.

But why did you order from Poland? I mean I don't know about Switzerland, but there're dealers/breeders in Germany who have G. pulchripes slings right now. o_O

Selmartillery

Arachnopeon
Well, at this point all you can do is keep your fingers crossed and pray. A week or even more in transit for a sling could be too long, especially when the temperature drops to 6-10 C in the night. No heat pack will last that long. I hope your sling will arrive alive.

But why did you order from Poland? I mean I don't know about Switzerland, but there're dealers/breeders in Germany who have G. pulchripes slings right now. o_O
I actually didnt find the one I wanted. For a good price. Most of the time it was reaallly expensive and the shipment too. I would have had ordered a few nor slings to make the shipment fees interesting ^^ and also I know people who ordered from the breeder I orderd from. And have been very very satisfied. Many unboxing videos from them also turned really good. And of course the Dark den ordering most of his Ts from them (and making a video tour of the place) convinced me it is a very ethical and fine dealer. Also Petko (the dark den YT channel) lives in croatia farther than Switzerland in regards to Poland. I saw many unboxing videos and sometimes he received them also a week after usually everything was totally fine (I think if I can remember well only 2 slings died in transiting on approximativly 50 he got from them, but im not sure about the time of the year).

If u know some good german breeders for the future I would take notice and try to buy from them (after winter though, itll start to get real cold in the next weeks), I was very inefficient in looking for good ones I guess and couldnt asses their seriousness over only a website (no reviews no one I know buying from them etc)
Most breeders in Switzerland dont have websites and usually sell in expos as they are small. I only know two that have good websites and a certain amount of specimens, but they sell at prices I couldnt understand ( for example a juvie g. Pulchripes female for 150 chf --> 145 dollars appriximatively. Which is INSANE)

I will buy from expos brachypelmas as I dont have the right to import them from the EU.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, I just saw G. pulchripes slings for 8€. ;) I'll send you the link via PM.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love Switzerland, been there many times. Far more beautiful than I expected.

I use ExoTerra's for Ts, nothing wrong w/them except the mesh screen. Ts get their tarsal claws stuck on them. Replace w/acrylic w/drilled holes.

Selmartillery

Arachnopeon
Hi ! I wanted to keep you posted so my sling has arrived safe and sound ♡
She is active and don't seem dehydrated !

Shes precious ♡_♡

http://imgur.com/gallery/JSxEUK4

Ill try to feed her tomorrow or after tomorrow as she might be hungry after a week in transit.

Thank u all again for your good advice.