2nd Tarantula

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi my mom said i can get a tarantula this December, i have 1 pinktoe. I am looking for an arboreal, aggressive(not to agressive) and around $30 or lower, as a spiderling. Thanks!
James:}

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, if you can find them, I'd think Tapinauchenius species - similar in requirements to your Avicularia but with a little more spunk, and slings fit your price range for most that I've seen. However, they are uncommon so you would probably have some difficulty locating them in an actual store.

Other than that, you'd have to think African arboreals such as Heteroscodra maculata or Stromatopelma calceata for the under $30 crowd but they are considered to be among the most aggressive and "hot" arboreals. You can find some Poecilotheria slings around 1" for your price range, but again, not exactly bambi ;)

Unfortunately when it comes to arboreals, it's either the hippy Avicularia, Romulan Taphinauchenius, or Klingon africans and Poecilotheria.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi James. Man, there are so many awesome arboreals. I'd never be able to settle on one specie to recommend. I thought a good idea may be for you to surf a little and get an idea of what's available. That should make it easier for you to decide what you like or not.

Here's a pretty good one. It's Rick West's site. There's a ton of great pics there but not all species photographed are available in the hobby. I believe most are though.
http://www.birdspiders.com/main.html

Here's Kelly Swift's site. He gives good info on his price list and let's you know right there next to each pic if it's terrestrial or arboreal.
http://www.swiftinverts.com/

Also, if you check the links section here there are plenty of other sites to give you some ideas.

I have my heart set on H. maculata for my next arboreal. They're not too pricey and they have a very intense pattern. They are considered to have a more potent venom though and are fast.
Here's a pic of one.
http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/photos/ornatebaboon11300B.jpg

Good luck in your decision.

Atrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd recommend a P cambridgei or P iminia
Aggressive, but not overly, fast growers....
easy to care for

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus, now why did I forget them? Yes, basically a new world Poecilotheria as far as temperament goes.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think getting a Heteroscodra maculata would be a nice choice. THey are very fast though but their colors are brilliant.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
uh

P. Regalis. Was there ever any question?

A sling will cost you less than $30, easily.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Psalmopoeus, now why did I forget them? Yes, basically a new world Poecilotheria as far as temperament goes.

you were leaving the door open for me to jump in and give my requisite .02 :)
Why, what a gentleman you are!