2nd Tarantula For GF?

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
So if you've read my most recent threads you'll know that I just got 3 slings and I am dying to add more to the collection. I bought one for my gf and she loves it to death but she also wishes her rosehair was as active, pretty and webbing as much as my two slings are. Her little sling just poses for her or hides behind her leaf/hide, that said...

I'm looking for advice on what to get her next, I already know what I'm interested in but I'd like some ideas on what I should get her...

She wants something pretty, active, webs, and faster growing than the Rosie she has. Also remember that we're both beginners and I'd like to get something hardy and forgiving of mistakes, NW for sure, oh and something that doEsnt break the bank.

I know that there are similar threads to this one but I figured I'd make a new one that fit my criteria exactly instead of searching through threads with folks with maybe more experience, money, ect ect.

I just want to get her something that keeps her interested and excited and not worrying and being upset when my GBB webs half his enclosure while her rosehair...rosehairs.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
  • GBB, Caribena versicolor, Hapalopus sp. Columbia "large" (note: they're fast and skittish), Neoholothele incei (also fast and skittish), Davus fasciatus (fast and skittish as well).

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
She wants something pretty, active, webs, and faster growing than the Rosie she has. Also remember that we're both beginners and I'd like to get something hardy and forgiving of mistakes, NW for sure, oh and something that doEsnt break the bank.
terrestrial webbers: These can be a faster and more skittish than your typical starter terrestrials (like Grammostola).
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue): very hardy, goes through several attractive color phases, commonly available
  • Neoholothele incei (Trinidad olive): a dwarf species, also available in gold
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis (blue dwarf beauty): iridescent and rainbow-colored but may be hard to find

arboreal webbers: There are other species, but these are some of the hardier, more commonly available ones that are still within range of a beginner. If this is your first arboreal, you will want to start with a juvenile (2" or bigger), as slings of these species tend to be more fragile. See this post for basic care instructions.
  • Avicularia avicularia (common or Guyana pinktoe): has adorable pink feet
  • Avicularia metallica (metallic pinktoe): like a big double Avic but with white-tipped hairs
  • Caribena versicolor (Antilles or Martinique pinktoe): gorgeous green and red/pink coloring

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'd get her an Avicularia sp. One of the 3 @Ungoliant recommended. An Avic will be out more than the 3 you already have. They are fluffy looking and pretty easy to keep, just keep them well ventilated. Avic avic will be the cheapest, followed by the metallica, then the versicolor.

aphono

Arachnobaron
If colorful is a bonus yet you want to get her a different species, I'd throw in the vote for C. versicolor. More colors, very fuzzy, an arboreal(making it 'more different' from what you have so far) and it definitely webs a lot.

I'm a total beginner too.. just got a C. versicolor tiny sling.. that thing is a heavy webber but I also see it easily and it moves around a fair amount- sits in its custom made hammock a fair amount too though..

If hardiness is more important and variety is not a concern, get another GBB? I have them too and they have proved very hardy.. I'd say an excellent for beginner who likes webbing and the cool striping on the babies and color on the adults. Who knows, maybe that will end up being a male-female pair...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ah right. I was thinking it depends on what your 2nd T was and how and what this possible 2nd girlfriend was like and how she looked. Thought it was a swap situation.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I'm considering the C. Versicolor and she's already said she's interested in it. I may go that route, just worried about the hardiness of the species. That's my only concern in that regard.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another vote for C. versicolor or N. incei

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
N. incei

H. sp. "Columbia" Klein or Gross, doesn't matter

P. scrofa

A. chalcodes (not fast growing, but adult females are $50-$75)

P. cambridgei

L. difficilus

P. sazimai

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Can't go wrong with the versicolor. They're not as difficult to care for as some make it seem. People usually only have issues if they follow caresheets. Lots of vertical space and things to climb on and web, tons of cross-ventilation, and a water dish. Feed once a week. Easy:)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm considering the C. Versicolor and she's already said she's interested in it. I may go that route, just worried about the hardiness of the species. That's my only concern in that regard.
Try to find one 2" or larger; that should be past the fragile sling stage.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
So if you've read my most recent threads you'll know that I just got 3 slings and
So... a GBB basically. Pretty much checks all of these boxes except maybe fast growing? Certainly faster than a rosie.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I have a GBB, only reason I didn't wanna get her one. I chose to get her a versicolor as there was a sale and today was the last day, also got me a couple more slings, haha, couldn't resist, I got her one of the freebies as well. Oh well, I've gotta stop now. No more for a long time!

Magenta

Arachnosquire
@GreyPsyche Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I saw you post somewhere saying that you ordered and OBT. Is that correct?

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I have a GBB, only reason I didn't wanna get her one. I chose to get her a versicolor as there was a sale and today was the last day, also got me a couple more slings, haha, couldn't resist, I got her one of the freebies as well. Oh well, I've gotta stop now. No more for a long time!
I was going to jump on the versicolor bandwagon, but I see you're good on that front. ;) I know your girlfriend is going to love her new T, my versicolor slings are some of my favorites. Did you get a sling or an older T? Slings are not as hard to care for as a lot of people think as long as they're not kept in moist, stuffy enclosures.

I've had my versicolor slings almost a month, I feed them twice a week, provide a water cap, and lightly mist one side once or twice a week (they drink the droplets every time I do this, and its only enough to have dried within a few hours). They're both fat, happy little blueberries. :smug:

What are the other slings you got? I love new purchases, they're like Christmas morning lol.