2nd T Time....Answered

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey there everyone! On March 10th this year I asked everyone here what they thought I should do in regards to my second T. Well 13 of you replied and here on this Friday the 13th I feel it is only fitting that I reply back to you all to tell you what I've done....It recently started with a spark and has grown to a blast!!!! My girlfriend and I have become completely infatuated with these creatures. As it turns out our 2nd T was a 5" Rosie, not the avicularia versicolor (antilles pink toe) or the Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue) as originally thought. And today we just added a few more. We got a huge 9" Theraphosa blondi (goliath bird eater), a 5" Brachypelma smithi (mexican red knee) and a 4"-5" Avicularia braunshauseni (giant pink toe)!!! We completely love these new additions and are very excited for what the future holds.

Any insight or suggestions on care or whatever would be greatly appreciated for these guys. One Question though...

1. The T. Blondi has a few flying flys/mites in there. Any concerns?

THANKS!!!!{D

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Flying flies? That's reassuring. If they were't flying, would they be walks?

Seriously, though, I think you may be talking about the little annoying flies called 'fruit flies' (Drosophilia sp.) or the like. Are you keeping crickets? Because these little flying buggers tend to hang out around decaying vegetable matter - like the stuff which may be in the cricket enclosure.

If that's not the case, I would stab a guess at too much water in the bottom of the tank, or poor ventilation. As a rule, flies hate wind... maybe you can increase the ventillation a little.

I'm not sure if that's what your talking about. Mites are little crawly things. Flies are little flying things. They're kinda hard to confuse when you put it like that.

So which have you got? Flies or walks?

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are indeed flys. We got the T. Blondi from someone else and so if they are fruit flys they didn't come from us. I'll give it a couple days as their life span is about 24hrs i believe.