2nd T suggestions/help

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
So I'm addicted... the boyfriend has agreed to let me get another T (yay) I currently own a G. Concepcion and I want to stick with terrestrials but want to get a sling. I have been going through posts on here and come up with a list of T's that I like the look of and seem to be good for someone who hasn't had a sling before. This is my list
Grammostola Pulchra
Grammostola Pulchripes
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

The only thing that would be a problem is temps. At the moment my house is about 60-70 with it being a cold winter. Would these be ok in that temp or not?

Also what size tubs/pots would I need for them as they grow? I would rather bulk buy now and have them on hand ready to rehouse when needed.

I'm open to suggestions on other T's that would be good for me to get.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Also what size tubs/pots would I need for them as they grow? I would rather bulk buy now and have them on hand ready to rehouse when needed.
Like most, I use condiment/deli cups. Works well and cheap. G. Pulchripes is of course a favorite. Big fan of the G. Pulchra but growth rate is super slow. If growth rate doesn't matter than there's E. Sp. Red, E. Campestratus. The usual Brachy's Vagans/Albopilosum/Emilia. Space Heater to help heat up the room if required/possible.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This is my list
Grammostola Pulchra
Grammostola Pulchripes
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those. They're all hardy and make good display tarantulas.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens grows reasonably fast and has a good prey response. It is colorful in all stages, even slings, and even though it's a webber, most will be in view much of the time. This species is faster than the other two, but once it's established a web, it tends to run there when disturbed rather than try to bolt out of the enclosure.

My Grammostola pulchra is an absolute delight, but as was already mentioned, it is a slow grower.

I don't have any experience with Grammostola pulchripes yet, but I believe they're faster growers than Grammostola pulchra. It's a very popular starter species.

The only thing that would be a problem is temps. At the moment my house is about 60-70 with it being a cold winter. Would these be ok in that temp or not?
Most tarantulas will be fine in any temperature you're comfortable in wearing normal "indoor" clothing. If you're not wearing a coat or layers, it's probably fine.

That being said, if you can add a little heat to the room via a space heater, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Terrestrials don't need a lot of space. About 3x its diagonal legspan (DLS) in length and width and no more than 1.5-2x its DLS in vertical space.

Little slings are often kept in condiment cups and then deli cups when they get a little bigger.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have all three of the species you've mentioned, G pulchra being my favourite of the 3 they are really easy to care for infact their care is pretty much the same.

As other members have stated they do grow at different speeds, G pulchra grow pretty quick untill they hit a certain size then they just stop and I mean stop the key to growing a pulchra is adapting a slightly different feedin schedule because in my experience if you don't feed them as often as others it stops them fasting as much.
G pulchripes will just eat and eat untill it looks like it's going to pop then it'll flip moult and repeat,I've found this to be true of Gbb also but I've noticed my girls slowed down a little as she's got older.

There are many great terrestrial tarantulas that are easy to care for as slings you probably know most of them. But if you fancy something a little different check out the spidershop they have a G actaeon juveniles @£45 you care for these like the other 3 you mentioned only in my experience they have a better feeding response and grow quicker plus they are jet black as youngsters with a cherry red abdomen but as they get older they lose the red abdomen and it's replaced by black which means you end up with a sort of fluffy G pulchra

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have/had all 3.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is a tough as nails, fasted of the 3 mentioned. They can take a lot of husbandry neglect. The temps listed are too low on a regular basis, this species is from Venezuela and lives in extremely xeric conditions. You'll need to heat them with a space heater.

If you kill a C. cyane, you should stop owning animals, and get a pet rock ;)

It's not a docile species mind you, and fairly prone to flick unlike the others mentioned. Amazing eater, amazing webbing (you may or may not want that).

It's not aggressive either.

If you want a slow, less strung out T, get either of the others. They are identical in all ways except looks.

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
I think I'm going to go with a pulchripes. That was always my 1st T choice but my boyfriend surprised me with Lola. Thanks for all the advice.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
OK, so what is your 3rd tarantula going to be? You're the female in this relationship, only you have the ability to say "no". You got the goods if you know what I mean.

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
Haha well he does have 3 geckos so really I should have 3 t's. See how I get on with these 2 for a bit and may even have a go at some arboreal species. I just can't believe how addictive keeping them is. I really need a bigger house.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
B.vagans.

Temperament on this spider wildly varies from each specimen. These are not aggressive spiders but anything in its enclosure is "food first'. Decent growth rate. Will stay out in the open. Super cheap as a species. Also...these spiders are GORGEOUS.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
G. pulchripes, for sure! Mine literally thinks everything is food. Such a pig! And yeah, GBBs can be fast. But BOY, are they worth it! So much color:astonished: And GBBs, as stated already, are very strong feeders as well. Pretty much anything that touches their web will get eaten. Occassionally, I have to go in with some tongs to clear the web out of the water dish to keep the water from getting wicked out. The little bugger will chase the tongs around! But if I let him touch it and he realizes it's not food, he wanders to a corner and huddles up, like he's pouting:sour:

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
Ahh I'm stuck between a GBB and a g pulchripes. I would just get both but I don't think the boyfriend would be happy. When I mention about getting another he replies with "you've already got one". I don't think he quite understands my obsession lol.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ahh I'm stuck between a GBB and a g pulchripes. I would just get both but I don't think the boyfriend would be happy. When I mention about getting another he replies with "you've already got one". I don't think he quite understands my obsession lol.
'Dear boyfriend of Rachel,
There is no such thing as keeping just one Theraphosidae.
Sincerely, the rest of Arachnoboards'.
:D problem solved.

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
Haha thanks. I don't think he would mind as much but we don't really have loads of room. The selling point in me getting another was that I was getting a sling so would be small for a while lol.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
My brother in law does a similar thing with my sister; "sure, you can get another T...I'm going to check out some new jerseys" she can't say no lol

Can't go wrong with the G. pulchripes or C. cyaneopubescens, both are stunning :)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Haha thanks. I don't think he would mind as much but we don't really have loads of room. The selling point in me getting another was that I was getting a sling so would be small for a while lol.
Unless you get a Lasiodora sp. They don't stay small for very long! Got one back in September as a 1/2 inch sling. It molts every month, and is now around 2 inches:D

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
He knows how big they get so that's a no no from him lol. I will see how I get on with a new sling first and then go from there. Or I could always use the "I got a freebie cause it was my first order"

dopamine

Arachnobaron
If you want a sling that'll stay small for a while, grab a P. muticus :D
Or anything Brachypelma...

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
I don't know why but I'm just not drawn towards brachys. I must be a grammy girl.

cold blood

Staff member
Most tarantulas will be fine in any temperature you're comfortable in wearing normal "indoor" clothing. If you're not wearing a coat or layers, it's probably fine.

That being said, if you can add a little heat to the room via a space heater, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
This was true 30 years ago when our stock consisted mainly of adult brachys, grammys and aphonopelma. Today we have so many species available and most of these tropicals require more warmth than we do to feel comfortable. This old saying needs to stop being perpetuated as its just no longer true....especially when you consider slings, which just shouldnt be kept cooler than 70.

Youre right though, a space heater is the way to go.
Unless you get a Lasiodora sp. They don't stay small for very long! Got one back in September as a 1/2 inch sling. It molts every month, and is now around 2 inches:D
Lots and lots of species share Lasiodoras growth rate, in fact many are faster. Most large south americans grow really fast...and some arboreals like psalms and tappies grow so fast an LP would be embarrassed.

He knows how big they get so that's a no no from him lol.
sizes of the LP are GREATLY exaggerrated by sellers....theyre no bigger than most other large terrestrials...thats the 7-8" range....big no doubt....but certainly no bigger than probably a hundred other species. Sellers desperate to sell massive (and virtually worthless) Lasiodora sacs gotta do something to hype their product....and its the great size lie...claiming 9-10" or more....lol. Thats like me using yao ming as an example, claiming most chinese men are well over 7' tall. A lp over 8" is like a 7 foot tall chinaman...maybe possible, but incredibly unlikely and well beyond realistic expectations.

I don't know why but I'm just not drawn towards brachys. I must be a grammy girl.
The only real differrence between the genera is that brachys are more colorful....i dont see how one could like grammys and not like brachys, theyre basically mirror images of one another in a lot of ways (most ways).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
This was true 30 years ago when our stock consisted mainly of adult brachys, grammys and aphonopelma. Today we have so many species available and most of these tropicals require more warmth than we do to feel comfortable. This old saying needs to stop being perpetuated as its just no longer true....especially when you consider slings, which just shouldnt be kept cooler than 70.

Youre right though, a space heater is the way to go.

Lots and lots of species share Lasiodoras growth rate, in fact many are faster. Most large south americans grow really fast...and some arboreals like psalms and tappies grow so fast an LP would be embarrassed.

sizes of the LP are GREATLY exaggerrated by sellers....theyre no bigger than most other large terrestrials...thats the 7-8" range....big no doubt....but certainly no bigger than probably a hundred other species. Sellers desperate to sell massive (and virtually worthless) Lasiodora sacs gotta do something to hype their product....and its the great size lie...claiming 9-10" or more....lol. Thats like me using yao ming as an example, claiming most chinese men are well over 7' tall. A lp over 8" is like a 7 foot tall chinaman...maybe possible, but incredibly unlikely and well beyond realistic expectations.

The only real differrence between the genera is that brachys are more colorful....i dont see how one could like grammys and not like brachys, theyre basically mirror images of one another in a lot of ways (most ways).
Of course, size varies greatly between individuals of the same species. I guess the idea is LPs have the potential of getting massive. If you ever go to the Insectarium in New Orleans, you will see the Yao Ming of LPs. She's a monster that would put most goliaths to shame! Seen her with my own eyes. So I wouldn't call it an exaggeration, necessarily. Of course, not all of them will be guaranteed to reach that size. But they can.