2nd instar slings

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. i know someone who has some b.ruhnaui nymphs. im thinking of getting one of the slings if they molt ok. how easy are 2nd instar slings to care for or should i wait until they are a bit older before i buy one? thanks,
Jono

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
shouldnt be a big problem...its just matter of how much do you want to bother with microscopic crickets and/or fruit flies and/or pre-killed and sliced larger crickets..

just be prepared that b.ruhnaui doesnt have too much of a feeding response and grow quite slowly...mine made it recently through 4th molt and almost didnt grow at all..

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Go for it. It will be a good learning experience. You can make cric mash for them if you find them too small and too hard to deal with pinheads. When my smithi slings were about 1/4", I just smashed the cric's head and pulled off the jumping legs, just in case, and have had no troubles. They're both about 1-1/4" in just 3-months to the day. I keep them in the 80f range and feed them several times per week, but I don't let their abdomen's get too fat.