2nd -3rd instar

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
I got a few 2nd -3rd instar scorpions i was trying to search what to feed them and never got a clear answer.. could anyone tell me?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm having the same trouble pretty much. i was told that dead roaches will work, i kill mine in the freezer, then make an entry to soft insides..it didn't work for me. you can try pinheads also. pinhead crickets or pinhead lateralis, this is information i got from reading other peoples threads and by asking in my own threads.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All my 2nd instars get pinhead crickets. Small crickets for 3-4 instar, depending on the species. Some are more willing to take on larger prey than others.

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What I do is feed then fresh roach nymphs... Just crush their poor little heads and the T's will gorge themselves! 2nd and 3rd in-stars should be fine.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I do is feed then fresh roach nymphs... Just crush their poor little heads and the T's will gorge themselves! 2nd and 3rd in-stars should be fine.
They are asking for scorpions not T's. ;)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use young lobster roaches. I've had micro species eat newborn lobsters live.

If they won't eat them live, I crush part of them. Pinhead crickets worked well before I got my roaches though.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of scorps are we talking about here? my 2nd instar B. jacksoni do well on 1/4 inch cricks, the 3is will take down 1/2 inch easy. my V. caralinianus and C. vittatus eat pinheads at 2i

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sooo... whats an HH and RJ? never heard of single letter genus and species names

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sooo... whats an HH and RJ? never heard of single letter genus and species names
Rhopalurus junceus and Hottentotta Hottentotta would be my guess.

for my 2i-4i i use lateralis nymphs. i use a bucket method with hundreds of tiny little holes drilled into it so i can shake the tiny babies out from the adults. then i scoop up some nymphs and dump them in with my tiny scorps. works like a charm.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186561

read post #15, it explains how i go about doing the bucket method in pretty good detail. if ur not the type to want to read, or you just wanna see the described method in action go ahead and check out this video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJKrN6KSbU

this also is where i originally got the idea, obviously the 1/4" holes described in the video wont work so using 1/8" and 1/16" drill bits work best for the tiny little lateralis nymphs.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hottentotta hottentotta and Rhopalurus junceus
thanks for giving the general public the names of species that JoeyS seems should only be kept by those in the "Secret Order of Scorpion Keepers" i know too much now! they will burn my eyes out! *hides from Joey and his secret order*

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Rhopalurus junceus and Hottentotta Hottentotta would be my guess.

for my 2i-4i i use lateralis nymphs. i use a bucket method with hundreds of tiny little holes drilled into it so i can shake the tiny babies out from the adults. then i scoop up some nymphs and dump them in with my tiny scorps. works like a charm.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186561

read post #15, it explains how i go about doing the bucket method in pretty good detail. if ur not the type to want to read, or you just wanna see the described method in action go ahead and check out this video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJKrN6KSbU

this also is where i originally got the idea, obviously the 1/4" holes described in the video wont work so using 1/8" and 1/16" drill bits work best for the tiny little lateralis nymphs.

Thanks a lot i am going to use this method. btw i use blaberus discoidalis for feeder ( i live in Florida its the only one i can have ;/) what size holes do you think i should make?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks a lot i am going to use this method. btw i use blaberus discoidalis for feeder ( i live in Florida its the only one i can have ;/) what size holes do you think i should make?
discoidalis may be to big and hard for your tiny scorpion buddies. even the smallest nymph to my knowledge is 1/4" or bigger. i would try using fruit flies or pinhead crickets. but if this is not available to you then u may wanna try meal worms. they are small and easy to take care of, i just crush the head and then drop it in front of the scorplings. if your little guys are kept communal you can take a few small/medium sized crickets and crush their heads and drop them in, the little ones will munch on them.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
discoidalis may be to big and hard for your tiny scorpion buddies. even the smallest nymph to my knowledge is 1/4" or bigger. i would try using fruit flies or pinhead crickets. but if this is not available to you then u may wanna try meal worms. they are small and easy to take care of, i just crush the head and then drop it in front of the scorplings. if your little guys are kept communal you can take a few small/medium sized crickets and crush their heads and drop them in, the little ones will munch on them.
i use pinhead crickets and meal worms for now until they are 3-4 instar, i was just stating that i had discoidalis which i use to feed my bearded dragons and Savannah monitor

Syndie

Arachnopeon
emperor scorpion babies

ive been having problems finding specific info. i really want to prevent problems and do the best i can. my emperor scorpion JUST started giving birth today so far she has 4 little ones on her back. i had noticed just one this morning and then checked back an hour later and there were 3. now there are 4 babies. I really dont want her to eat them. I also dont want them to die due to something i could of done because of food or environment. its hard to find good information!!