20 trapdoor slings

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Will trapdoor slings that were in mom's burrow make funnels & traps already? If not, how should they be housed?

Edit: sorry, there are only 15 of them

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ah send me some ;]
yes they will burrow as slings i believe.just set them up in small vials with a good amount of substrate

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if enough survive, i'll try to send you one. :)

i will separate them now

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just went looking in my files but didn't keep it... When I first got my trapdoor, I found an article that said that the slings live in the burrow with mom for a very long time. If curiosity gets the best of me and I find the article again, I will send it to you.

Last edited:

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is the article I mentioned

http://www.atshq.org/articles/ctenizidsRhys.pdf

Here is the article I mentioned. On page 3, second column it talks about babies in the burrow. It says that they can stay there for years!!! The article does not cite references but it sounds like the guy has some idea of what he is talking about.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i guessed that's the case, but it doesn't seem to be an option now. also there actually are 20 slings.

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
http://www.atshq.org/articles/ctenizidsRhys.pdf

Here is the article I mentioned. On page 3, second column it talks about babies in the burrow. It says that they can stay there for years!!! The article does not cite references but it sounds like the guy has some idea of what he is talking about.
wow good read thanks for sharing.would like to find some of the work this guy mentions

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm putting them in small cups with packed-down potting soil.

this is a pretty unfortunate situation; as I was not expecting these I really don't have any idea of what to put them in, how to feed them, etc.

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well depending on there size id use a small vial most likely and if there really small u can use pinhead crickets or fruitflys to feed them.how big are they?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they're about 2-3 mm body length.

Edit: I mean 3-4 mm body length.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
feed them prekilled, keep them on slightly moist substrate. be careful not to jog them too much as the bellies seem super weak compared to tarantulas. i have had baby tarantulas and centipedes survive my care when they are still whitish, i'd say if you play it conservatively you could have a decent survival rate

p.s. check out the monthly hike thread, friday the 13th dusk and night hunt :)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how should they be fed prekilled? (should i wiggle it, or drop it next to their burrows, or what?)

about half have started burrowing down, which i am very excited about.

is slightly moist < damp?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how should they be fed prekilled? (should i wiggle it, or drop it next to their burrows, or what?)
in the burrow. i think mom bags larger bugs and then drags them down into the bottom of the burrow for her kids to eat

about half have started burrowing down, which i am very excited about.
so the little spiders are making individual burrows? that is an EXCELLENT sign!

is slightly moist < damp?
yup. basically you want to keep it moist enough to not get dusty, but not so damp that you can squeeze any water out of it. i suspect these are WAY on the dry end of the keeping spectrum for mygalomorphs

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very cool! i'm sure a lot of people here(me incuded) would be interested in trapdoor slings.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, you can't really put food in their burrow; it would just land on their butts. until i/if i can't get pinheads or fruit flies, do you think they could take slowed-down prey larger than they are, or cricket parts left next to them?

it's tough, because i don't breed crickets, and the nearest place with fruit flies is a town or two away. (haven't found anyone close w/ pinheads)

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
May I ask where you got these? I'm just curious. I could have missed it somewhere.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In Encinitas, CA. I'll post pictures of the surrounding areas eventually.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how much do you think the cost of shipping and packaging materials for each sling would be? i don't have a lot of money.