20 Questions

bolt619

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I am new to this board and hobby as well. Actually, I always cared for snakes, lizards, and fish but no spiders. I just purchased two malaysian trapdoors (liphistius murphyorum) and I had a few basic questions. I bought a lil terrarium and put a divider in. How long does it take for these spiders to settle in? Should I keep them in the dark? How often should I feed them? I figured once a week but would a couple times a week be okay? Everywhere I look and whoever I ask I cant seem to get a legitimate answer as to how big they get. How often do you have to change their substrate? Longevity? Would they only dig in the dark or do they also do so in daylight? Not exactly 20 questions, haha but I think thats enough for now. Thanks for the help and I am sorry for bombarding this board with a bunch of questions.

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sometimes it can take a while for them to burrow.it helps if u start a hole for them.also adding some moss or leaves is a good idea as they will use this to construct there door.in the wild these are usually found on hillsides.u can see some good photos of Liphistius habitat here
http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=10363&hl=trap

i would feed once a week until it looks like they have a good size abdomen then mabey feed once every 2 weeks or so.for water i would myst once a week and make sure not to let there tanks dry out as these are a tropical species and require a higher humidity.
exactly how big they get i dunno.im guessing the murphyorum doesnt get much larger than 3 or so inches legspan but i have no clue.the L.malaynus is supposed to be the largest in this genus i believe reaching 4"+ legspan.
hope this helps!
-Chris

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you try Liphistius in the boards search box? Type it in, select 'show posts' and browse. You will probably find everything you're looking for.