2 scorpions died at the same time... need help

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I wasnt getting any answers lol. I would say ur australis died from stress or improper conditions if they both did the flip over for days and die thing.. I dont know why else they would die.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol. more info: i was given 4 australis 3i which molted recently. all are eating well. the 2 which later died ate the fastest and were the biggest size. then one day they just toppled over. when they were on their backs, i checked if they were moving, and they were. so i ASSUME they were molting and left them. but this carried on for 4-5days. so i tried turning them back on their legs, but they just struggled and were on their backs again. so i just left them there. you already know the end result.

in terms of genealogy, the dealer told me that 2 came as 1st batch from the mum, and 2nd batch. 1 from each batch died.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Upon reading your issue, I immeditately knew it was a housing issue... and if others from different species are dying I think you need to either reconsider your choice of hobby.... or spend a while researching PS, don't go back to petco.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hade the same issue with a pair of H. Spinifers. It only took a week or two after having them shipped that they died. Strange thing was, I kept them in both in seperate pints, with moiste substrate, climbable bark, .5" of substrate, and 70F as temperature... As for emps... I have gone through 2 emps already, that I bought out of Petco... They are all WC theire and not taken to well care of. Temperature they were alright, but substrate and feeding was horrible... (I always give those petco employees a piece of my mind when I go in their to get crixs). Anyways, my first couple emps bit the dust around 4-6 months after buying them... They are just old... Is my take, I find it highly unlikely that it was some form of parasite or disease, but then again you never know. I will have to go with bad keeping... Do not jummp to quitting the hobby just yet... Just research the reccomendations for your scorps enclosure next time and do not settle for minimum requirments.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here are a couple of my 5 gal setups. Just sub and a rock in a couple of terrs. I use 3 to 5 inches of sub. I encourage using a waterdish. Because of the way I house them, I don't use waterdishes in the Emp and Hetero terrs. I've had the Emp that's under the rock in the first pic coming up on two years now with no waterdish. Plenty of condensation in it's hide and I mist/rehydrate the sub about twice a month. But good to have a waterdish! I have a plexiglass square on the top of the screen top that's shifted a little for some ventilation.

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Deolok, thanks for adding that last bit in... Reading over my post I thought "shoulda worded that one nicer". What a jerk I am. We would definently be happy to send you papers or caresheets zilch.... But still stay away from petco, lol. I guess a good pet store is hard to come by these days. Luckily I've been going to the same one since I was 6. Zilch we can also put you in touch with some good dealers where you can get juvenile scorps that won't kick the bucket in a day.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol, i didn't purchase my australis from petco, neither do i live anywhere near petco, wherever that is. i'm from malaysia :) i purchased them from a breeder. thanks, i'd appreciate that. my email's at ser_young@hotmail.com and i do have msn messenger.