2 scorpions died at the same time... need help

halo909090

Arachnopeon
ok first one of my scorpions stopped moving yesturday and i had a feeling it was dying, today when i came from school i looked in its cage and its body was flat on the ground, i left it w/o touching it and after 5 hours it was in the exactly same position, so i picked it up and it wasnt movin at all, so i buried it, and i noticed the fat between the top and the bottom of the scorpion was like gone. and then my second scorpion is doing the same thing now, it stopped moving and isnt moving at all:wall:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what kind of scorpions? how old? diet? are they wild caught? how are you keeping them? answer what you can and Im sure we can help you figure it out :D

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had 2 australis who died almost similiarly, hope you don't mind if i ask a question here lol :) its 3i australis (who ate alot, they're seriously stuffed) in small plastic containers with desert sand as substrate. one day i just found them upside down (backs facing upwards) and thought they were dead, but they were still moving. this happened for nearly 3 weeks then finally they died. anyone knows why? :confused:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah thats what I was gonna say, its possible after being disturbed they simply could not molt and died as a result.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah thats what I was gonna say, its possible after being disturbed they simply could not molt and died as a result.
haha, thats what i thought initially, but i only flipped them over like 5 days later?
i don't think they take THAT long to molt, do they? :confused:

halo909090

Arachnopeon
im afraid that they have some kind of sickness that they both got it and died, and i am afraid that the sickness might affect me or my geckos:8o

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say chances are that they were just old.. or WC adults who had parasites. again.. how did you keep them though.. substrate ? temps? what did you feed them?

and no they dont take 5 days to molt.. perhaps conditions just werent good I dont know.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im afraid that they have some kind of sickness that they both got it and died, and i am afraid that the sickness might affect me or my geckos:8o
haha. unlikely i think, diseases/viruses which affect scorpions won't spread to reptiles and humans...

more likely i think its humidity issues?

halo909090

Arachnopeon
yes, i think tha too, i think the white sides of the scorpions dried up and they died, cause i saw a hole on its side and i saw the insides

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, i think tha too, i think the white sides of the scorpions dried up and they died, cause i saw a hole on its side and i saw the insides
:eek: terrible way to die. but expect casualties keeping scorpions, i guess thats part of the hobby. the thing now is to lessen casualties by finding out how they kicked the bucket..lol

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
halo909090, sorry to hear about your loss

Here is what I think, with one of them dieing and the other more than likely going to die in the same 24 hour period, had to be something wrong with the tank conditions most likely. here is why I think that. I was looking back over some threads you posted 08/2006, and the pictures of the two emps there, I believe that are they the same ones that died on you here, had the wrong substrate, the crushed walnut shell (that's what it looked like) and the wood chips had to go, also the humidity was probably not up to required 80%'s it looked dry in there and that was a screen top that you were taking pictures of them on too, probably way too dry, and it did not look like there were any hides in the tank. I believe it was stress and dehydration.

If the one is still alive which it sounded as it was, you'll need to put it in some sort of ICU, but I don't know anything about how to do that.

Just my observations

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with Thaedion. Ha, Arachnophilist was really squeezing hard for that sub info:) . That sure sounds like that's what happened, ..too dry and stressed(?). I use coco fiber and I throw some plexiglass squares on top of the screen to hold in some moisture. I also cover some with plastic wrap. Something to consider if you try it again. Might need some extra heat too if it's cool in the house.