2 Q's

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1) My avic. has webbed herself in...what's she trying to tell me? Humidity's at 80% and temp's at 80F. She also hasn't eaten since the super worm 3 or 4 days ago.

2) I'm not shure if the smithi is taking the superworms out of the dish, or if they're climbing up the blobs of gut-load-jello-stuff and escaping into the substrate. Should I worry about this? If they have gotten out will she dig them up when she wants them, will I have to dig them out (I hope not, she gets cranky LoL), or can I let them evolve into beetles and see if she likes the beetle more?

thx,
N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bridget
How long has it been since her last moult?
Well, I just got her the weekend after Thanksgiving, but the guy I bought her from said she molted about 3 months before I bought her.

N.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics always do this before a molt. If it is not a full grown spider then 3 months is almost right on schedule for a molt.

Avics tend to be pretty fast growers relative to other species so they molt more frequently as well.

I bet you will see it molt within a week or so.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

my avic died on me a few dats after the moult, I would take all the specimans out(crickets, worms, ect) Good Luck on the moult!

James

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the molt usually take place on the ground? They don't molt in their web that far up, do they???

N.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the molt usually take place on the ground? They don't molt in their web that far up, do they???

N.
Hi,
Avic's do, as well as a lot of other arboreals.

Cheers,
Steve

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi,
Avic's do, as well as a lot of other arboreals.

Cheers,
Steve
Oh sh*t...LoL Hmm...any pointers for me, then? I have no idea. These are the first spiders I've had since I was in the 5th grade, and sadly, those never made it to their first molt in my care (family cat killed them while I was out of town. I'm still traumatized).

N.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good luck on your molt...i think avic's are the coolest and it would be a shame to see it die during molting

p.s. i would edit your post if i were you because many people take offence to bad words (personally i dont care but kids do surf these forums...better me than a pisses off baord member)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
arboreals molt in their web hammocks usually. If there are prey items, they *mostly* can't get into the webbing.
Not 100% sure though.
Superworms should not be a problem, as I can't imagine them climbing UP to her

As for the B smithi, I don't worry about superworms unless I know my T is due for a molt. I posted in another thread, some of my Ts LOVE to dig them out of the substrate....and I'm talking 6-10" of substrate! ONLY if I know they are not near a molt though.
I much prefer superworms and mealworms over crickets, and have not heard nearly the horror stories of them feasting on molting tarantulas either.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
arboreals molt in their web hammocks usually.
Well, her web is like a tube-type...it started as a hammock, but now it's a tube going downward into the corner and there is no horizontal webbing. Can she do it on her side, rather then belly up?

N.

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't worry, it will molt just fine from any position it chooses; just make sure the humidity is up a little just in case it needs the help.:)