2 of my pastimes

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
... Photography, and pets.

This is an image, Shot with my Mamiya 645 Medium format camera, on Ilford FP4 @ ISO125. Developed in Ilfosol 1:9, 6.5min @ 20C. Printed on Kodak Polymax paper VC filter #2.5

Exposure was 1/30 @ f:8. Scaned on Epson perfection 1650 from the 1st gen 8X10 print.

I have a home darkroom, and about 6 cameras (all film) I love Black and white, and hope to do it semi-professional someday. :)

This is the first study Ive done with spiders.. I notice them more now, On the walls, at work, etc, ever since I started keeping one as a pet. .. Just the other day, I saw this really friggin cool looking spider at work. Small (maybe 3/8" to 1/2")Jet Black and furry, except the abdomen was solid red and kinda triangular shaped (Fattest near the Cephelothorax, and pointed at the spinnerettes) I wish I had a camera with me, It was really cute, he was obviously pissed at my intrusion, and threw up his tiny front legs in a defensive posture.. I couldnt help but laugh. My co-workers thought I was nuts.. :}

Oh, and the spider is our G. Rosea. (Scarf)

Anyone else here get flack from other "Non arachnid" types, that just don't / can't understand the fascination?

Edit: Damnit, Cant post anything bigger than 640pix.. Oh well.. ;)

-Jason

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Very nice! I love the black and white. My family and friends think I'm nuts for keeping spiders. I tell them I'm destined to be single forever, as I have yet to find a guy who would tolerate my 7 frogs and 9 (and counting) tarantulas. I've found that in my experience, men are more afraid of my spiders. The women tend to be cautious, but interested.

Leanne

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Don't lose hope Leanne... that's how you'll KNOW when you've found Mr. Right! :D

He'll accept you AND your spider friends!!!;)

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like black and white also! It gives you(me) a little more to think about!

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Ah, an artistic pic

Jason-

I dig the b&w pic - makes for an interesting image. Keep them coming.

Peace

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Don't forget that once you hook up with a guy that appreciates your animals, the fun is likely to really begin. Sharing a collection with someone is a truly wonderful experience.

Cheers,
Dave

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There's something about b&w that makes it look more artistic. I love B&w too, that is an awesome pic!

Originally posted by Mendnwngs
... Photography, and pets.

This is an image, Shot with my Mamiya 645 Medium format camera, on Ilford FP4 @ ISO125. Developed in Ilfosol 1:9, 6.5min @ 20C. Printed on Kodak Polymax paper VC filter #2.5

Exposure was 1/30 @ f:8. Scaned on Epson perfection 1650 from the 1st gen 8X10 print.

I have a home darkroom, and about 6 cameras (all film) I love Black and white, and hope to do it semi-professional someday. :)

This is the first study Ive done with spiders.. I notice them more now, On the walls, at work, etc, ever since I started keeping one as a pet. .. Just the other day, I saw this really friggin cool looking spider at work. Small (maybe 3/8" to 1/2")Jet Black and furry, except the abdomen was solid red and kinda triangular shaped (Fattest near the Cephelothorax, and pointed at the spinnerettes) I wish I had a camera with me, It was really cute, he was obviously pissed at my intrusion, and threw up his tiny front legs in a defensive posture.. I couldnt help but laugh. My co-workers thought I was nuts.. :}

Oh, and the spider is our G. Rosea. (Scarf)

Anyone else here get flack from other "Non arachnid" types, that just don't / can't understand the fascination?

Edit: Damnit, Cant post anything bigger than 640pix.. Oh well.. ;)

-Jason

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Ah, an artistic pic

Originally posted by D-Man
Jason-

I dig the b&w pic - makes for an interesting image. Keep them coming.

Peace
LOL.. Say no more!

Heres one more from the roll.. :)

-Jason

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Mendnwngs --

was the spider you saw at work black with green chelicerae? I bet it was a phiddipus audax or regina -- great little jumping spider -- you described almost a text book Phiddipus sp. --

they are voracious eaters -- i have a couple and feed them large crickets (keep in mind they are no bigger than my thumbnail...

I do B&W photography too! I'll post some of mine very soon!

Amazing pics!
good luck with the T -- you should buy another one :)
peace,
dave

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Hey Mendnwngs --

was the spider you saw at work black with green chelicerae? I bet it was a phiddipus audax or regina -- great little jumping spider -- you described almost a text book Phiddipus sp. --

they are voracious eaters -- i have a couple and feed them large crickets (keep in mind they are no bigger than my thumbnail...

No, I just looked up pics of the spiders you mentioned.. Unfortunately, It didnt look like any of those.. No green, Just jet black legs, and carapace, and a solid, bright red abdomen. The 2 front legs (first pair behind the pedipalps) were considerably longer than the rest of the legs..

-Jason

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy jesus, i didn't even realise you said "bright red abdomen" -- i totally breezed right past that in your first post!! ---

damn, thats what you get for drinkin' and postin' huh? :)

alright back to work finding spider IDs :)

sorry mate!
peace,
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Final Spider ID

alright, well i'm definate it's a Salticidae, and most likely a Phidippus sp. And i'm thinking either:

1) P.pulcherrimus
2) P.borealis
3) a colour morph of a P.isignarius (which happens occasionaly in the family)
4) MAYBE a P.johnsoni (but the abdomen is more oval, not triangle)
5) POSSIBLY a P.whitmani
6) F.flava
7) possibly anything in the Hasarius family.....

the salticidae's are great true spiders -- and they friggin cute as anything -- for a true spider -- man, those big eyes glaring up at you -- rumoured to have the best eyesight of any spider! Smart as hell too!

its fun to watch them take down huge prey -- get em nice and healthy... im hopefully getting an eggsac from one beautiful P.audax (amazingly bright sea- green chelicerae morph)

enjoy the T!
peace,
dave

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Yeah, Here we go.. This is the right body, And right coloration with the exception of the red abdomen. I remember his little "Calf muscles" ;) like shown here in the picture.. LOL...

Do you collect true spiders?

-Jason

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Jason --

nice! it is a Salticidae! Great spiders! BEAUTIFUL colourations on some of them, and nice and fuzzy -- like little, alien looking T's eh? :)

yeah, i collect true spiders, but T's are my real passion. I mean, i have all the pet store guys around me giving me cool Orb's or widows that come in reptile packages, and i find alot around my house.... it's cool. Not anywhere near as fun as a T's, but let me tell you -- i've got the most beautiful mexican Orb in my living room and the web she built in the corner is amazing -- it looks like i painted it or something. Very good conversation piece, too... beautiful art. And the spider never ever leaves the web -- i have a beautiful natural art piece, and a natural bug catcher...

there's some pretty cool spiders out there, but they are nothing compared to T's!!

i'm still going with my number one choice i sent you -- just cos of the blood red abdomen (P.pulcherrimus) :) who knows though!

peace,
dave