2 New Ts, need some IDs please..

Mez

Arachnoknight
Hi guys. I know roughly what they are, just need some latin..
Picked these two guys up for £40 for them both, 'Horned Baboon' and 'Tiger Rump..

Cyclosternum fasciatum?

with flash:

'Horned Baboon'

Any idea on the latin name on this baboon? Not really my thing these, but in the flesh theyre pretty nice looking, decent size too.
Ok, also had this in but i left it alone as i had no idea what it is, or why its abdomen is so large.

It was up as a 'Giant White Knee - A. geniculata', which it isnt. Is it Hemericus sp?
Thanks
James

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like you have the correct name on the first one...

The second one is a female C. darlingi...

*Edit*

The third one, I aint got a clue. Can you get a a couple better pictures? The abdomen might be fat due to being gravid, or overfed.

Mez

Arachnoknight
No, no way of taking any more photos due to the fact it was in the shop.
I can 100% guarantee you it hasnt been overfed, and almost 95% guarantee you that its wild caught.
This guy deals primarily in venomous snakes and imports loads directly, occasionally he gets a few spiders aswell, but has no custom base for them, that baboon has been there 3 years.
Hes got an LP there with a good 6-7 inch span on her for £40, might go back and get that next week.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Nice purchase! I wish i could get me a C. darlingi let alone a female from a LPS. :clap:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Yeah, shes one of my favourites already. The C. fasciatum is a speed deamon, but this darlingi was very calm, to be honest i expected it to be very defensive when i was transfering it, but was instead content to just stroll out.
Are these obligate burrowers? I remember seeing a photo of a 'horned baboon' that had totally webbed its enclosure up and was just sat in the middle of it, just cant remember what species.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks. Any idea on the third species?
I am not familiar with these and that photo isnt very good.. It looks to be in early premolt. Wait for a molt then post a picture. Or post some more pictures at different angles and lighting. Maybe someone can give you an idea on the ID.

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
Dis you tell the LPS owner that the T should not be kept on wood chip substrate, especially cedar?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Dis you tell the LPS owner that the T should not be kept on wood chip substrate, especially cedar?
I didnt even notice the last one is on wood shavings. Get it off of that stuff pronto! Cedar and other coniferous woods contain a natural (oil/sap)pesticides that have been said to be the cause of death in reptiles and arachnids. Use cocofiber like the first 2 or get some peat moss.

Mez

Arachnoknight
????
The photo of the unidentified T is in the pet shop.
That is not wood chippings, thats Aspen. Still not great for Ts, but still not wood chippings, or in my care, i didnt buy that (as i stated in my original post) so i cant change its substrate. The reason the first two have better substrate is because i bought those and transfered them into my enclosures.
No, i didnt tell him to change the substrate ,because i know he wont do. The guys about 60 and mainly an importer, very set in his ways. He dosnt really sell spiders, but occasionaly some stuff gets shoved into boxes hes importing. Some are on coir in their tubs, there are 4 small vivs that house Ts with this substrate in, im pretty sure they will have had snakes in before them.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cyclosternum (Davus) pentalore
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Aphonopelma sp. "Guatamala"

Eric

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cyclosternum (Davus) pentalore
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Aphonopelma sp. "Guatamala"

Eric
I thought so for the third one. Have one myself, pretty species that i'm looking forward to seeing freshly molted.

Mez

Arachnoknight
Thanks.
Just had a look at the A. sp. Guatamala, they seem a lot more slender built and blue, but im presuming it just needs a moult?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks.
Just had a look at the A. sp. Guatamala, they seem a lot more slender built and blue, but im presuming it just needs a moult?
I'm on my way home and can post a better response. There is a small mark on their legs that separates them from A seemani. Mine a funky brown/blue and badly in need of a molt. It's also just as fat, lol.

Here we go, on a lot of them you can towards the bottom of the legs, second to last segment, there is a creamy colored line that goes at an angle (I apologize for not using better terminology. I've got a head cold & can't think straight) :

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=162887

And here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/nikipike/burica2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/nikipike/burica.jpg

I'm not saying that's 100% what it is :) Just might help you in narrowing down what it is.

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Wow, i have to say thats probably the most extreme post moult ive seen, compared to what it would look like after a moult.