2 new slings incoming

smkrus

Arachnopeon
Have P.irminia and A.versicolor slings coming this week! Can't wait!

Just wondering what to expect ;)

Also a spot to post updates on them!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good picks! i have an irminia sling and am waiting on my versi sling i ordered to show up any time now... {D

can't comment on the versi, but the irminia is a fast little booger! puts anything else i own to shame, hands down, but is mostly reclusive. it made this web tunnel with sub on the sides so i've only seen it twice since i housed it two weeks ago. a shame, because its the prettiest T i own... :wall:

smkrus

Arachnopeon
just got them in
put them both in 40 drams w/ a piece of bark, moist sub and plenty of vent holes

is it fine to throw a pre killed cricket in right away or wait a day?

im wondering how these buggers drink, moist sub good enough?
also how often should i expect moults? versi is .5" and irminia is 1"

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. versicolor is one of the only species that has given me recurring issues as small slings. I think it has been dealt with time and time again and deals with paying close attention to proper humidity and at the same time ventilation. You can pick up many a thread on the issue, but still sometimes they just die unexpectedly. They are docile but at times can be a bit skittish, prone to flinging poo. Overall though they are jewels in a collection, so beautiful and impressive in their own right. I love that electric blue they show off so stunningly as slings. They truly are jewels.

Then the P. irminia pretty much grows like an OW species. They are kinda like an OBT in that they like to do the tube webs below the substrate then web up everything. Kinda goes in between an arboreal and terrestrial a bit as a sling, then moves more towards being completely arboreal as they grow larger. Hardy species that can take some abuse and still thrive.

By the way in which people talk about them you expect something between a Poecilotheria and an Avicularia, but mine just molted out male and has always been one of my most docile species. I would compare him to an Avicularia sp. in temperament and he is quite docile and slow moving. I could not believe how small the mature males are and how fast they get there... WOW! No wonder many make this species one of their first to breed, they grow so quickly.

They seem reluctant to some extent to leave their webs at times. I have taken the top of the enclosure off completely and mine has shown no will to escape, always wanting to remain in its 'turf'. They are a unique species and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I am thinking about getting a female just so I can breed him.

Cheers,
Nate

smkrus

Arachnopeon
Well I was going to just throw a prekilled into the versi... but it was climbing up the wall and snagged it from the tweez instead:D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just got them in
put them both in 40 drams w/ a piece of bark, moist sub and plenty of vent holes

is it fine to throw a pre killed cricket in right away or wait a day?

im wondering how these buggers drink, moist sub good enough?
also how often should i expect moults? versi is .5" and irminia is 1"
You can feed right away, just lightly side one side of the vial until they get bigger, & whenever the sling feels like it ;)