2 New A. Versicolors, Some Questions

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I just purchased two A. Versicolor slings on Monday and am new to owning tarantulas. I did a lot of research beforehand, but I still have some questions. I moved each sling into their new homes yesterday made out of the armac container store cases. I drilled holes all over the cases and on the sides not pictures there are 4 additional holes. All are small enough to where the sling won't escape. I have put in the eco earth substrate, and right now it's lightly damp and not completely dry, would it be best to put in completely dry substrate? I also put in fake leaves, cork bark, and 2 water dishes made from bottle caps. They have started some light webbing and I managed to feed one a small cricket yesterday. The other is refusing the small cricket with tweezers I am putting near it. Would this be due to stress? Both of these are under an inch bought from a local keeper who just had them pretty recently. Please let me know what you think, or any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, can take better pictures if these aren't good enough tar1.jpg tar2.jpg tar3.jpg

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No worries. From what I see here your setups look great. No need to swap out the substrate (unless it is soggy) it'll dry quickly on its own. As long as there isn't condensation you should be fine. Lots of plant/corkbark makes for happy Avics. Webbing is a good sign. I would let them have some time to settle in and try feeding again.

Good luck, let us know how they do. :)

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your reply and advice! There is some light condensation near the bottom of one of the containers it seems, but I will keep an eye on it and make sure it clears up. I will have some back up dry substrate too. Will make updates! Just am excited to have tarantulas!

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
As Trenor said you did a great job. The other sling could just need some settling in or he may be in pre molt.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I still need to do some more research on the molting process; don't have a lot of knowledge about that. Anything that is really important to know?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thank you! I still need to do some more research on the molting process; don't have a lot of knowledge about that. Anything that is really important to know?
Make sure they have access to clear fresh water when they molt. Other than, that not really, they usually web up a tube and handle it themselves. To me, Avics are the hardest T to tell if it's premolt.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Basic signs of a T in pre molt are darkened abdomen or color in general, closing itself into a tube web, and lessened ability to stick to the sides/top of the enclosure. If you suspect a T in pre molt make sure they have water available (as always) and once they close themselves off do not disturb them.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
I will make sure the water is all good when it comes to that point, and I will keep an eye out for the signs. Thank you! I don't think either of them are in premolt right now... The one that isn't eating is probably just stressed out. The other one just ate another cricket, so that one seems to be comfortable somewhat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think these are a very good start! It's great to see a new T owner having done the research!

As I mentioned earlier, it's likely that T needs to settle in. Now that I can see a picture, albeit not quite clear, I would cautiously rule out pre-molt.

The only thing I cannot tell for sure is the size of the holes. If the holes are larger than the diameter of the carapace, your Ts have an escape route. Many of my Avics at that size always checked out the holes, pushing their legs through hah.

The only thing I would have done different, is put them in a container that is shorter.

I keep them in shorter containers to increase prey/predator interactions at that size. It's not mission critical mind you. Keep an eye on them. Avics can get "lazy" and expect prey to be in the "tree tops" near their canopy. Generally speaking they will come down to hunt, exceptions to every rule.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
How long would you say to wait on trying to feed the t that is not eating again? The other one has eaten 2 crickets now and is looking fat, the other one looks so small now.
In regards to the holes, they are smaller than the pictures make them seem. The t's are definitely not going to be able to escape out of them.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind. So far I have been putting small crickets on the end of tweezers, but it doesn't work very well, and I don't know if crickets are the best... maybe I'll try flightless fruit flies.
I can understand why the shorter enclosure would be easier with food; it is a little bit of a hassle.
I do see some light condensation at the bottom of the enclosure within the substrate, will this be an issue if I don't change it right away?
Thank you for your help! I'm hoping they both will settle in well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How long would you say to wait on trying to feed the t that is not eating again? The other one has eaten 2 crickets now and is looking fat, the other one looks so small now.
In regards to the holes, they are smaller than the pictures make them seem. The t's are definitely not going to be able to escape out of them.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind. So far I have been putting small crickets on the end of tweezers, but it doesn't work very well, and I don't know if crickets are the best... maybe I'll try flightless fruit flies.
I can understand why the shorter enclosure would be easier with food; it is a little bit of a hassle.
I do see some light condensation at the bottom of the enclosure within the substrate, will this be an issue if I don't change it right away?
Thank you for your help! I'm hoping they both will settle in well.
Good on the holes.
On feeding, I would offer a cricket each day, leave for 24 hr, then remove, wait 1/2-24 hr (no science behind the times TBH) and repeat. you may also want to try a tiny mealworm, not a superworm mind you, crush the head. I've never had a prob w/versi's eating. Keep water bowl fresh and full.

Fruit flies are not the best for Ts. Crickets are perfect.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
I finally got the second one to eat! Took the cricket from the tweezers :) I'll try some mealworms too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I finally got the second one to eat! Took the cricket from the tweezers :) I'll try some mealworms too.
Good. Feed it w/out using tweezers. It's not safe for the T as tweezers/tongs can damage fangs. Should both fangs get lost, your T will likely die.

Remember, they have evolved as ambush predators, let them do their thing. No one feeds them in the wild.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
I will keep that in mind and not do it that way anymore. One is webbing on the substrate floor, should I be worried about that?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I will keep that in mind and not do it that way anymore. One is webbing on the substrate floor, should I be worried about that?
I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to open the bottom of the container and it breaks the web the T's should have plenty more web going up the cork bark, plants, etc. On mine, I ended up putting a 2.5 Dram plastic vial in the in the front corner of the substrate with a small hole in the enclosure so that I can easily refill the vial with a syringe. This makes maintenance of water much easier without having to open the enclosure so often.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer