Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

2 Month Sling Update

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Venum, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Venum

Venum Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    About two months ago I posted some questions about two tarantula slings I purchased. I wanted to make this post to give a 2 month update on my progress.

Ironically, I have started to really enjoy the A. Purpurea despite frequent mentions that it is a terrible species to start with. If I sneak into the T room at night, I can usually observe it out of its hide and on the side of the container. I have noticed it has a voracious appetite as well. When I open the lid to the deli cup that it is housed in, it will retreat into it's web tunnel behind the cork bark. Still, moments after a lateralis is dropped in, it will creep out and pounce before retreating back into its lair. This sling has molted twice since I've owned it - once in transit and again a few days ago. So far this one seems to be doing well.

I also have a B. Albopilosum which is much smaller (probably no more than 1/2"). It refused food for a week and it's coloration became much darker and shiny which was a good indicator to me that it was in a pre-molt. Sure enough, about a week after it stopped eating I found a molt in the water dish one morning. It resumed feeding about 3 days after this. I read you are supposed to wait a week or more before feeding, but I am of the mind that the T will know better than me when its exoskeleton has hardened and will take food when it is ready. The neat thing about this one is that it will accept 2-3 melangasters at a time. Those must be some strong pedipalps!

As is customary with this hobby, I also couldn't resist adding another sling to my collection. I bought a B. Hamorii that was about 1" in diameter. This one immediately burrowed under the cork bark, covered the hole, and I haven't seen it since. I did brush away the covering of the burrow with a paint brush to see if I could find it and I dropped a lateralis in there to see if it would eat. It immediately accepted the roach, though I don't think I will feed it for a bit because I've read this could be a sign of pre-molt. I would be curious to hear other keepers thoughts on this behavior.

All in all, I have to say I am really happy I pulled the trigger on these (my wife still needs time :)). Thanks for taking the time to read!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire

UK
    You’re way ahead of me (only had mine 2 weeks). I’m dead envious that yours have molted, I think I won’t relax until they’ve survived a molt.

Hope your Wife comes around, is she phobic or just not keen?

I think most on here would say if your spider actually closes the burrow entrance, you should take that as a “do not disturb” sign. I think you’re wise not to attempt to feed until he/she opens the burrow again. Oddly, my hamorii sling has done the opposite - he’s closed the burrow entrance and stayed outside it. ??

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venum

Venum Arachnopeon

USA
    She is phobic, but she is starting to come around. Honestly I was as well until I found several youtube channels I now watch religiously (Dark Den, Exotics Lair, etc.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire

UK
    Me too! I did a phobia workshop at a zoo, which got my fear level right down. I’m hoping these t’s will cure it completely.

I watch both of those channels too, and also Tom Moran (another ex-arachnophobe).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Venum

Venum Arachnopeon

USA
    An interesting update is I believe I misidentified the species of tarantula I have which might be why I'm having more success with it. The (what I assumed) A. Purpurea was sold to me as a "purple tree tarantula" and I realized my sling looks nothing like other A. Purpurea slings. It actually looks a heck of a lot like a T. violaceus. Are these easier to keep?

6. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Well, if it is a Tapi, it’ll be about fifty times faster. ;) Also, photos.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Venum

Venum Arachnopeon

USA
    These are the best pics I was able to get this morning.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

What colour is the T? With the low lighting there’s almost no way to discern distinguishing features.

9. Venum

Venum Arachnopeon

USA
    It is dark brown/black and its carapace and legs have a slightly orange tint.

10. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Judging by the amount of times that I have read about damaged fangs after moulting, I wouldn't make this assumption at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.