2 lovers burrowed for a week

Octa

Arachnosquire
The title is self-explanatory.
I put 2 p. imperators in a 10 gal enclosure just a week ago.
Ever since then, the female didn't come out of the cave.
The male appeared once or twice but usually stays in the same cave with her as well.
They're both 3inch juveniles.
Temps have dropped from the usual 78F to 72F due to a snow storm over here.
Any ideas on why they've sealed themselves in?

Oh and I took a closer look inside the cave... both are alive and laying next to each other, so I didn't want to disturb any further.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
The title is self-explanatory.
I put 2 p. imperators in a 10 gal enclosure just a week ago.
Ever since then, the female didn't come out of the cave.
The male appeared once or twice but usually stays in the same cave with her as well.
They're both 3inch juveniles.
Temps have dropped from the usual 78F to 72F due to a snow storm over here.
Any ideas on why they've sealed themselves in?

Oh and I took a closer look inside the cave... both are alive and laying next to each other, so I didn't want to disturb any further.
I know it might not be your fault, but those temperatures are pretty low, even 78 degrees. The temperatures should normally around 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. They may just be comfortable where they are, just keep taking care of them.;)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My experience with low temps: Emperors can handle 16C and maybe even 14C for short periods. I lost a few juveniles when it lasted a bit longer. But 16C doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, and 72F, which is a little over 22C is no problem at all for long periods (in my experience). Sure they grow slower and eat way less. But I don't think it's really bad.

In my experience, if the temp is 22C or lower, the emperors move to the warmest place. With 23C and higher they don't seem to care much.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
That sounds like normal Emp behavior. They spend the majority of there time hiding in burrows or whatever.

Octa

Arachnosquire
I just noticed that they fight over the food.
My male was being an ass and chased her away, so I took my female emp and fed her myself :(
is this normal and should I kick the male's ass for that?

Thanks

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I just noticed that they fight over the food.
My male was being an ass and chased her away, so I took my female emp and fed her myself :(
is this normal and should I kick the male's ass for that?

Thanks

No need to beat him over it. That is very normal behavior for emps. And no need to interfere either, a little scuffle over a cricket is not a fight to the death.