2" H. gigas checking out swimming pool

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard these H. gigas are known to swim under water so of course i had to have one. I actually got two that i keep communal. I came across the larger 2" checking hanging out at the edge of the water and as i opened thie lid he/she actually went partially under water. Not all the way..but i snapped a few pics. The dish of water is only about an inch deep but at one point he/she had head completely underwater. Pretty cool. 20170117_193350-1-1.jpg 20170117_193835-1-1.jpg 20170114_214504-2.jpg 20170117_193511-1-1.jpg

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea they are pretty cool. I saw a youtube video of a larger specimen swilling fully submerged. It was almost as if it was playing under the water haha

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, but if you do build a paludarium, which isn't hard, you would witness far more natural activity from this species. A member here built one recently, posted some pics. If I owned this species, I would do it, you are missing out if you don't.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Cool, but if you do build a paludarium, which isn't hard, you would witness far more natural activity from this species. A member here built one recently, posted some pics. If I owned this species, I would do it, you are missing out if you don't.
I believe the user was @Bread

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A very underrated species. It was my second ever T. I wish I knew back then about the swimming and communal living. The more the merrier, huh? :p :)

dopamine

Arachnobaron
So wait, is the H. crassipes the one with the thick back legs and not the gigas? I'm seeing conflicting theories all over the place. And most online sellers label this spider 'H. gigas'. I was on a thread from way back in 2003 with people saying crassipes and only crassipes has the pronounced legs.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Gigas looks similar to P. mut but not as bold. There are other rip offs, laticeps and crassipes. The true gigas is dark colored and not burgundy.

The back legs of gigas are thick.

I dont know about the hobby in the states back then. Though H. gigas was my second ever T back in 2005ish and wash dark brown with thick legs IV.

Bread

Arachnopeon
I believe the user was @Bread
Guilty :p

Mine is a WC female (known as H cameroon in the UK not sure on the US) and still spends 4-5hours at a time underwater.
She has VERY thick back legs, double her others and throws a threat posture (inc dripping fangs) when I open the enclosure.
She was from here

She's moulted since these were taken but here she is :p

cold blood

Staff member
Guilty :p

Mine is a WC female (known as H cameroon in the UK not sure on the US) and still spends 4-5hours at a time underwater.
She has VERY thick back legs, double her others and throws a threat posture (inc dripping fangs) when I open the enclosure.
She was from here

She's moulted since these were taken but here she is :p

You ever drop a fish in there? Guppies would be perfect.

That's the t kill I want to see!

Bread

Arachnopeon
Doubt guppies would survive in the non tropical water, goldfish maybe, but then i'd have to clean up the bolus and I think goldfish can feel pain? :/ (although I gave her a small empty waterbowl and she puts her bolus in there)

cold blood

Staff member
Doubt guppies would survive in the non tropical water, goldfish maybe, but then i'd have to clean up the bolus and I think goldfish can feel pain? :/ (although I gave her a small empty waterbowl and she puts her bolus in there)
Guppies survive practically anything, including low oxygen levels and stagnant water...they may even breed in there. I had them breeding in with my turtle for years....low water levels, no filtration, no added heat, and zero water movement. I think it was about 10 or more generations in when the turtle finally turned the tables.

Goldfish would work, but theyre exceedingly dirty.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
How much extra work beyond a standard T enclosure is required to keep up the maintenance for it (prevent gnats, fungus, mold, algae, etc.) or do you even have to do anything special for these items at all?

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cold blood...i should have been more specific on the communal comment. They are only communal now because they are siblings and still young and have room frm each other but i plan on separating them soon. I cant wait to set up both enclosures.

Bread

Arachnopeon
How much extra work beyond a standard T enclosure is required to keep up the maintenance for it (prevent gnats, fungus, mold, algae, etc.) or do you even have to do anything special for these items at all?
I don't get any at all, I do change a few litres of water a week but its not gone slimy or anything, just the odd bit of substrate that topples off her digging pile into the water.
She's made a great burrow with 3 entrances, she also loves tapping away to my MM A.avic lol.