2 baby scorp setups. (P. Transvaalicus/Rhopalrus Junceus)

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both small KK's
Wanted to do something more than little deli cups lol.
Looks great! Except I'd probably add some water bottle caps in for water dishes. Kritter keepers aren't the best at holding in humidity so keep an eye out on your junceas. By the pics tho it looks like they're well setup

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Woke up and the P.trans. has dugg a larger tunnel system over night! With another entrance this guy is going crazy

Yea i added a bottle cap with clean mini pebbles i plan to wrap 90% of the lid ventilation

Attachments

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Looks like good setups. Rhopalurus like a vertical surface in my experience.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Woke up and the P.trans. has dugg a larger tunnel system over night! With another entrance this guy is going crazy

Yea i added a bottle cap with clean mini pebbles i plan to wrap 90% of the lid ventilation
What did you use as substrate for your Parabuthus? Been having a hard time being able to make a good burrowing substrate for my P.schlecteri. I like how yours looks :)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
It's a mix of sand. Excavator clay. And cocofiber. Just don't over due it on the clay.. it will turn too hard to burrow. Pack it down real right and lit about the first inch or so dry before placing it in there

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
What would you recommend? Hese too tiny he'll drown in a bottle cap (possibly) and most other members on here recommended I use the cap with pebbles

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What would you recommend? Hese too tiny he'll drown in a bottle cap (possibly) and most other members on here recommended I use the cap with pebbles
What are you using for a cap? If it is just a water bottle cap or something it should be fine on its own. How large is the scorpion?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I have 2 babies maybe 2 - 3 instar both use caps with cleaned pebbles at the moment

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
He can literally fit in the cap lol. Maybe I'll look for a super shallow cap

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
He can literally fit in the cap lol. Maybe I'll look for a super shallow cap
I believe Poland Spring water bottles have really shallow caps. Something about less plastic = less litter or some crap.
Anyway, check that out, it's your best bet for that.

I drink Aquafina water and give it to my critters too. The caps are deeper so they are better for my larger arid species. My rain forest species have larger dishes (souffle cups to be exact).

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I'll definitely look into it. I believe someone else recommended that same brand too because of the caps.

Just curious why are the rocks not a good idea if clean

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
is that all Parabuthus need? a hide, and deep dry sub for burrowing?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'll definitely look into it. I believe someone else recommended that same brand too because of the caps.

Just curious why are the rocks not a good idea if clean
Rocks inside of a dish of standing water are a magnet for bacteria and such to grow on.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
is that all Parabuthus need? a hide, and deep dry sub for burrowing?
Also a water dish.

The substrate there is a mix of sand/excavator clay to maintain some level of structure but still be loose enough to burrow through. Same thing you would do for H. arizonensis (which is an obligate burrowing spp).

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Sand/ excavator clay AND cocofiber but yes that's all they need really as far as (basic care) but of course you can make it better by making it more realistic with a bigger enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive heard alot about temps with scorps, so they really need it higher than tarantulas, like high 70s-mid 80s?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
ive heard alot about temps with scorps, so they really need it higher than tarantulas, like high 70s-mid 80s?
Depends on the species. My H. arizonensis get through the winters here where it goes down into the low 60s at night (not by my choice) alright. They do have their diapause period, though they still eat throughout it.