froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i was wondering which wolf spider would be good for a first time wolf spider

the tank i have is 2.5 gallons and i live in northeastern pa

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Spiderpharm.com has juvenile hogna carolinensis for $5. I've got one in a set-up about 1/3 the floor space of a 2.5. She is a lovely little beast and eats adult B. lateralis roaches.

Don't know if she's adult yet or not, she molted once after I got her (from NW Inverts).

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, H. car would be the best. I agree. They are very lively and have a great personality. You can witness some of the most epic spider/prey battles with these guys. I have a subadult and two juvies, PM me if interested. Either way, try to get your hands on this species- you'll love them!

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, H. car would be the best. I agree. They are very lively and have a great personality. You can witness some of the most epic spider/prey battles with these guys. I have a subadult and two juvies, PM me if interested. Either way, try to get your hands on this species- you'll love them!
sounds great! can they climb plastic? also are they fairly calm?(won't attack me if i try to clean cage)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sounds great! can they climb plastic? also are they fairly calm?(won't attack me if i try to clean cage)
Ditto on all comments. No they can not scale glass or plastic. And these wolf spiders haven't ever attacked me but watch out for the front pair of legs. They appear to use them as some form of touch detection by which they will attack immediately or kick in the flight instinct.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, they burrow so provide them a few inches of substrate with a turrent of silk at the entrance. Maybe a mixture of sand and peat or drier coconut forest bedding.

Neat predation behavior, they launch into the prey and catch with legs and fangs.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These do burrow. Many other Hogna species only burrow when gravid. I'm not sure if this is the case with these guys or not. To be honest, I guess I have never actually seen this species burrow unless the females are gravid. Anyone else have any input on this?

I am using this species along with a few other large Lycosids in a burrowing project, but all of the females I use are gravid. They all burrow readily, but whose to say it's not because they all are gravid...

The ones I have for you, Froggyman, are not kept on deep enough substrate to burrow. Woud you like some pics of the ones I actually have? They're cute little (will be very large) buggers!

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These do burrow. Many other Hogna species only burrow when gravid. I'm not sure if this is the case with these guys or not. To be honest, I guess I have never actually seen this species burrow unless the females are gravid. Anyone else have any input on this?

I am using this species along with a few other large Lycosids in a burrowing project, but all of the females I use are gravid. They all burrow readily, but whose to say it's not because they all are gravid...

The ones I have for you, Froggyman, are not kept on deep enough substrate to burrow. Woud you like some pics of the ones I actually have? They're cute little (will be very large) buggers!
sure What state is lawrence in?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks so much for the info on H. carolinensis. I think I will upgrade my gal's enclosure as soon as I free up one of my 2.5g tanks.

I'll get a male and give a shot at mating her once I think she's an adult.

I've got one of the local Hognas who laid an egg case for me. I put her in a 32 oz deli cup and sunk a 9 dram vial which she adopted as a burrow. These live in the forests down here. Coin in picture is a quarter.

Links offering bits and pieces of good information on Hogna carolinensis...

Click here!

Click here!

Click here!

Wolf Spiders make super neat pets!

Hogna Carolinensis burrow?

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Padkison-

Those are sweet Hogs. I'm pretty sure yours are H. georgicola. Those are very pretty spiders. I have about 6 of these girls working for me on my burrowing project.

Froggyman-

here is the mother H. carolinensis that my little ones came from:

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I did a search and found some pictures - I think you're right. Mine has an egg sac the same color as those in the pictures. Another wolf spider we have here lays a white sac.

Padkison-

Those are sweet Hogs. I'm pretty sure yours are H. georgicola. Those are very pretty spiders. I have about 6 of these girls working for me on my burrowing project.