1st time successfully breeding huntsmans :D

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Holconia insignis egg sac hatched last night, started moulting this morning :D

Mating.

Egg sac before hatching.

Last night and this morning :D

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Their mommy is quite a nice looking spider and the babies are so adorable. Congratulations!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Could you give us a description of the environment and circumstances of the prenuptials and mating?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just fed them up and introduced them together in a large tank, they've all been kept at room temps with dry conditions.
Half of the slings have to be sent off as a breeding loan, but im not sure how to go about it just yet, is it safe to seperate them now whilst they are all on the nest?

The Snark

Old Timer
My guess was right. Roaming non territorial predators, they have no problems with being randomly introduced to opposite sex.
I know only Venetoria. Their slings disperse from the mother immediately after hatching. Mother appears to remain in a torpor like condition for several hours after hatching to keep from feeding on her slings.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I didnt think i would get the advice i need in time so i went ahead and moved the female and offspring to one of these.

http://butterflyway.com/sites/butterflyway.com/files/imagecache/product_full/cage.jpg

The egg sac is intact, it was all stuck to a single piece of bark. I figured there are not stupid ass holes in a mesh cage like the exo terra enclosure she was in, plus i thought seeing as the lid is a zipper i could open it up only as much as i needed to unlike big glass doors. Did i make the right decision?
I cant have a single escapee or i'll be forced to get rid of my entire pet collection :(

The Snark

Old Timer
Not sure if this helps at all. Here's a venetoria about 45 minutes into the hatching. You can see a few slings around her and about 150 have dispersed over 15 feet of the carport. The spiderlings are very independent. Your saving grace would be they don't develop the ability to make lightning fast dashes for at least a couple of weeks. They like to hide in leaf mold or other detritus and start feeding on small bugs within hours of hatching. Again, this is venetoria so yours may be somewhat different in habits.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those little things are super fast! so be careful. You can separate them now, you can put them in delis with lids of course, small holes. No need for leaves, bark, or anything like that, they don't use it, they will stay on the side of the deli. You might only put a drop of water on the inside of the delis about once a week, too humid and they will die, but they will drink when they are thirsty.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Maybe make a cheap glove box to separate them in? With a big clear plastic tub and dishwashing gloves, something along those lines. Then if they bolt they are still contained. Probably overkill but considering the consequences of an escape might be worth it.

Congratz of the successful egg sac

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you place the container they are in in a lager container of water while your are separating them, maybe a bathtub with 1/2 inch of water in it, you can avoid escapees that way. I know somebody that did it that way and it worked.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was lead here from your other thread. How I'd love to get ahold of some Holconia! Where are you located?