1st T for a new owner (12 yr old)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Heres the scoop

Our friends from Ohio finally moved to Atlanta (and luckily got agouse rite down the street from us)

Their son (12 yr old) is in love with T's
I plan to surprise him with his 1st T for his B-Day in a few months.
The boy pays attention an follows instruction and i live rite down the street for quick access so im not worried, his parents are eager to learn etc as well (soon to be forum members im sure).

His favorite color is red an all he talks about is red T's.

Im looking fir suggestions/advice on any T's that are NOT generally burrowers but terestrial is likely a must for his ease of maintenance/learning.

I admit my scientific name game is rather weak so if possible, my I request common names (with the proper name of course, i need to keep working on this as well) but i want to be able to very quickly searh/youtube pics videos of the suggested specimens.

Not looking fir husbantry advice as much as just suggestions/reasons for the suggestion on "red" colored terestrial species or ones like "red knees" who at a min have that bright red coloring.

Thnx in advance and if anyone reading this at a later date has such a species (female preferably) they need to find anew home for, PM me, i may be in the market to adopt :)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I should note i dont wanna go through sling with the poor kid so i will be aftwr a female juvenile prob. Cost could be an issue here as i cant really afford to go all out an soend a fortune for his 1st T

Stugy

Arachnolord
Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) sounds like a good idea. Not sure since I don't own any T's xD

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Brachypelma bohemei or the mexican fire leg is a bit on the red side as well.. Or maybe B. emilia

cold blood

Staff member
some options:

G. pulchripes, not red, but its got yellows and is a wonderful beginner species that won't grow overly slow or fast extensively. When availability and price are factored in, IMO no beginner t can touch the G. pulchripes.

P. scrofa. A dwarf that spends a lot of time out ant about, great eaters and definitely a reddishness to them. They are dwarves, topping at or under 3". Look for one at least an inch, by then they are really hardy and excellent eaters

B. emelia and smithi are your obvious red choices, and both would work, but with both I would make sure its at least 2-3 inches as they grow slowly, especially as slings. This is smithi
The best I can think of is also the one you are least likely to find, but if you can locate a female T. cyaneolum, go for it. They may not be red, but they're a beautiful deep blue with a shiny gold rump. Simply put, they're the most docile species I have ever encountered, there's just not enough of them in the hobby.

Honorable mentions go to any Euthlas species and B. albopilosum (not colorful, but still a great beginner t).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
B.vagans ( mexican red rump) It's a hardy cheap brachy with a very bright red/pink abdomen. Good beginner species.

G.rosea red color form ( red rose hair tarantula) pretty cheap hardy doesn't require much food. Some specimens are a nice red color overall.. Good beginner species.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Thnx alot, and yea @cold blood
I showed him picks of smithi and emilia an he got really excited. Im gonna find out in the meantime how he likes yellows. Your G. pulchrips suggestion is solid if yellow works as $ will be a factor

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, I'd go for a G.pulchripes over any Brachy except maybe albopilosum simply because Brachys tend to be on the skittish side with a side dish of hair kicking.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Definitely G. pulchripes unless you can spend the dough on a bigger b smithy or red leg

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going to suggest pulchra but the price tag on that would be substantial for a more grown specimen.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I was going to suggest pulchra but the price tag on that would be substantial for a more grown specimen.
Came across a few gems recently both sub adult females at 3 and 4 inches both priced exceptionally well. Under 100$ Unfortunately when i returned to where they were located to buy them someone else had already gotten lucky. You can find almost any spider for a good price if your willing to wait and search for that right deal.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
This would be my pick. You can get a good size female on the cheap and they look great.

Here is my 1.0 B.vagans when it was 3.5 inches.

Here was last week after molting.
My 1.0 vagans just hooked out he is stunning though. He is one of my most defensive ts aswell though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Euathus sp. red would be my first pick.
Euathlus sp. red would be my second pick.
Euathlus sp. red would be my third pick.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My 1.0 vagans just hooked out he is stunning though. He is one of my most defensive ts aswell though.
Mine has never thrown a threat pose. I rarely get a threat pose form any of them. A few times from some of the baboons and one or two from pokies I was taking photos of (that was my bad cause I was monkeying with them). Some on the rehouse but that is expected... I am destroying their home at that point.

Euathus sp. red would be my first pick.
Euathlus sp. red would be my second pick.
Euathlus sp. red would be my third pick.
Yeah, good luck finding one. You guys have hyped them up so much no one has anything but slings for sale that I have seen. :p