1st breeding project.

razor244

Arachnopeon
ok so i was thinking of starting my first breeding project . What do you think of G.rosea for a first? Im not concerned about making money or anything along those lines: i just want to get some experience with breeding before trying other species down the road. My female is getting ready to molt and i figure after that i can hunt down a MM around the LPS for pretty cheap .. Perhaps you guys have some insight on the subject

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is my first breeding project as well. I had my male molt out mature a month and a half ago and just got my female last week. She is a grey color form and the male is a red.

I know some people post that it is a waste etc. and they say you will probably have to give away the young to get rid of them. I've seen this posted by a few people in several places. I personally think these will make the perfect beginner breeding project and am excited to get started with it. The experience we gain from it will be immense and is priceless even if it isn't a sought-after spider or because it is a beginners hobby staple. I wish ya the best of luck with it, just know that you may end up with more T's to care for if you don't have room try to find someone that you know will want some of them, or somewhere you will have extra space.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It's good and bad at the same time for a first breeding project.

It's good because it's a docile species and when you don't know what to expect, it's a lot less stressful than a more aggressive species and it's easier to manipulate them.

It's bad because it's hard to have a pregnant female, so there's a chance you won't have an eggsac. Also, they are slower than other species so it takes more time to actually have a sac.

With that said, it's also my first and current breeding project and I'm crossing my fingers for a pregnant female while waiting for my P. cancerides male to be ready for my female and start my second project.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
ok so i was thinking of starting my first breeding project . What do you think of G.rosea for a first? Im not concerned about making money or anything along those lines: i just want to get some experience with breeding before trying other species down the road. My female is getting ready to molt and i figure after that i can hunt down a MM around the LPS for pretty cheap .. Perhaps you guys have some insight on the subject
I would choose something a bit more desirable. Patience goes a long way.
That is my first breeding project as well. I had my male molt out mature a month and a half ago and just got my female last week. She is a grey color form and the male is a red.
Are you sure he is a red color form? The males tend to have a more red carapace upon maturity.
I know some people post that it is a waste etc. and they say you will probably have to give away the young to get rid of them. I've seen this posted by a few people in several places. I personally think these will make the perfect beginner breeding project and am excited to get started with it. The experience we gain from it will be immense and is priceless even if it isn't a sought-after spider or because it is a beginners hobby staple. I wish ya the best of luck with it, just know that you may end up with more T's to care for if you don't have room try to find someone that you know will want some of them, or somewhere you will have extra space.
Its a fine idea as long as your prepared to feed, water and hold onto 200-400 of tarantulas a high % of hobbiest already have or dont want. And when they are given away you might be packing more boxes than you want to.. I say.. Breed something else..

Also, they are slower than other species so it takes more time to actually have a sac.
Im not sure youve read the breeding reports on G. rosea. They lay after 3-6 months on average. That is not a very long time.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Im not sure youve read the breeding reports on G. rosea. They lay after 3-6 months on average. That is not a very long time.
I read some of them, but I haven't read a lot of other species. I guess I read it was longer than others somewhere and didn't know any better.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doug you can check my photobucket by clicking on the link in my sig if you want to see a few more pictures of the male. He was always very red even before his molt to maturity. The female is definitely grey which TKG lists as Grey form but these are the ones originally in the pet trade, right? I've only ever seen them referred to as just plain G. rosea. I'm not sure what I'm doing with all the slings yet but I have a lateralis and dubia colony so feeding is no problem, and I have the space. I've talked locally and can get rid of some there, as well as a few friends I can get rid of some to. I can easily get rid of about 100 of them right within the first month or 2. I also have someone that can feed them while I'm at work if I end up not having enough time with 12 hour work days. I plan on keeping about 10-20 until juvenile, and maybe 4 til adulthood pending everything goes ok. I understand the concern but I've done a bit of planning and am not jumping right into it. I agree an easier to get rid of species would be the best bet for most people to start on. I do appreciate the advice and this won't be my only breeding project though it will probably be my only rosea one for a good long time.

Here is one picture of the male after molt