1st and Only Scorpion Species

Which species should I go after if I only go after one? No Emperor Scorps Please!

• Desert Hairy Scorpion

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Asian Forest Scorpion

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yellow Legged Creeping Scorpion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Large Clawed Scorpion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Claw Scorpion

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am considering dedicating a 10 gallon aquarium to a scorpion/scorpions. I absolutely positively will not get a real hot species. I want something that if it stings me or someone else, the only ill effect will be local soreness!

I don't think that I want an Emperor Scorpion, as the consensus I think is that they aren't very interesting. So what other scorpion do you think would fit the bill?

I think red claws are real neat looking.

Thanks
BD

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the only reason you've gotten the impression emperors aren't interesting is because they're very common in the hobby and are considered a beginer's species, so advanced keepers have moved onto others. The same way many advanced T keepers feel G. rosea is boring. Mainly because it's common. I doubt you'll find much difference in the behavior of the red claws (P. cavimanus) than emperors, aside from maybe being slightly more fiesty.

Desert hairy scorps are one of my all-time favorites. Just be sure to provide a dry substrate that they can burrow in, and their digging will keep you entertained!

Wade

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand, emperor scorpions aren't very active. I want to create a showpiece using a ten gallon aquarium and a black light. I would like something that moves about frequently.
Aren't there other species besides emps. that can be kept communally?

BD

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Desert hairys are great , Only problem is there venom packs a punch.
I really like the fact that they dont need much attention

Pros.
room tempature
no need for constant misting
big eaters
dont take up much room
Usally active if hungry no matter what time of day

Cons.
Agressive (not all of them)
venom packs a punch

If you do get a desert hairy dont use sand!!!
they will wear down there legs

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
From what I understand, emperor scorpions aren't very active. I want to create a showpiece using a ten gallon aquarium and a black light. I would like something that moves about frequently.
Aren't there other species besides emps. that can be kept communally?

BD
Be forwarned that if constantly kept under a blacklight, scorpions will loose a lot of their glow. There are other species which can be kept communaly. Centruroides and Grophus can be kept communaly, though we are talking about nastier venom. Vaejovis can be kept communaly. Any Pandinus or Heterometrus can. Those are the commonly available ones, anyhow. Plus, though you aren't supposed to keep them communaly according to the Rubio book, Kugellager has an H.arazonesis in with an H.spadix and they seem to be doing well.

Cheers,
Dave

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as a blacklight is concerned, how would no more than 3-5 hours a day be?

BD

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Presumably better than 24/7. Ultimately, however, it may eventualy lead to a decline in the glow. If you have a mature specimen, there is no way to recover that glow.

Cheers,
Dave

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Presumably better than 24/7. Ultimately, however, it may eventualy lead to a decline in the glow. If you have a mature specimen, there is no way to recover that glow.

Cheers,
Dave
What if I gutload its crickets with phosphorus? Just kidding.

BD

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
What you need to do is get a light-coloured species and get it to eat a christmas light.

Cheers,
Dave

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually ive been itching for one of these...

This is actually a color morph of it, still a desert scorp with easy care, only problem is i dont know how potent the venom is

Oh and docile too.

Smeringus mesaensis

The normal ones are a bright yellow

If anyone knows its toxicity scale and its low , this would be a great starter scorp

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They do have a weak venom, but from what I've heard their attitude is something to be marveled at. Not a beginner species if "docile" is a requirement. ;) Anyhow, it is not recommended that they be kept communaly.

Cheers,
Dave

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
odd , I heard they where quite calm

*makes mental note to continue prod animal with 12 inch forceps.. before handleing*

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About emperors being inactive, I'd say this relates to temerature. If kept warm (85 and up) they are quite active.

In addition to what Skinhead Dave said about the blacklight, Dave Gaban reports that prolonged UV exposure may blind them.

The best bet is to have a blacklight near the cage, and when you want to see the glowing scorps, turn it on. When you're sufficiaently amused, turn it off. This method works quite well for me! If it's simply a matter of observing the scorps at night, you could try an incandecent red bulb, as red light doesn't seem to bother them. If you try that, use a low watt bulb and be sure the cage is big enough for the scorpions to get away from it. Also, if you're keeping a moisture sensitive species (like Pandinus or Heterometrus), incandecent bulbs can dry out the enclosure, so watch the humidity.

Wade

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
My P. cavimanus (red claw) is perfect, real docile, pretty good sized. That's the one I voted on. :D

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a flat rock scorpion ( Hadogenes sp. ) would be a great one. they are pretty docile, some what big, and strange looking.