17cm Ethmostigmus rubripes - Tiger Form - Feeding

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Hey, this is my tiger form, she is exactly 17cm long :) I managed to film her catching a 3rd medium size cricket in slo mo mode on my phoneVid here
View attachment 298170 View attachment 298171 View attachment 298172
Did you buy that centipede or did you catch it? My one which is identical to yours but smaller, was caught by me in the woodpile near the garbage bins. Our woodpile harbours those centipedes, particularly in spring to autumn!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
What is a cephalic plate? I want to see if my rubripes has it! Much appreciated!
A cephalic plate is the exoskeleton on top of the head, which all pedes have. In genus Ethmostigmus, it doesn't overlap with the first tergite (segment plate).

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Thanks, I’ve just learned another thing about centipedes! But yeah there is a lot of things about centipedes that I have still to learn. I’ve also looked at the head of my centipede and the head of a cormocephalus (I believe you have one of those) and what I discovered was the head of Ethmostigmus rubripes has more of a curve to the neck/head joint whereas in cormocephalus the head appears to be part of the neck as though the centipede’s head was growing out of the neck! Am I right???

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
If she's eating, she isn't premolt. Rubripes in general are gluttons, so I wouldn't worry.
And most of my pedes eat during the day.
My pede and my spider eat at around midday or in the late afternoon or evening, depending on work of course.