17 year cicadas outbreak

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont know if anyone has hurd about this, if your from the midwest you probably have.(ive hurd its strongest in the midwest, idunno about other areas). But its the huge cicada outbreak that only happens every 17 years, and its due to happen around the week of the 21st. Heres a very well done video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3CNnLdnQc

some more info: http://whyfiles.org/shorties/153cicada/

google it also for more info its all over the place.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when i lived up in NEW YORK we had them everywhere and every 17yrs they would emerge like the earth was moving with them,very interesting and there were nymph skins just about everywhere.very cool insect(alittle noisy{D )

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've lived on long island, NY for all my life, and i've NEVER seen a periodical cicada before by me. I wish they would invade my neighborhood. :)

If they are coming your way look out for the rare blue eyed ones.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know what ghis means... feeder time! and a chance get eggs if ya know where to looks. Get lots of pics people...

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I saw a cicada documentary several years ago and it was incredible!!
A side-walk was literally covered with cicadas and a man was sweeping them with a corn broom and where he was standing with the broom was clear but just ahead of him and behind him almost every square inch was cicada. The noise was intense and residents said it was really hard to live with because there are thousands , perhaps tens of thousands, of them making their call simultaneously. Unfortunately I can't remember who produced the show or where it was shot. Looked like something out of a Hollywood movie though.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm still wondering why my area never had any, and im older than 17 so if they were here I would have seen them. I'm really disappointed you all got to see this amazing event by you and I never have.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm still wondering why my area never had any, and im older than 17 so if they were here I would have seen them. I'm really disappointed you all got to see this amazing event by you and I never have.
The outbreak hasnt happened yet but is expected to soon

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just looked it up and if their correct it says 2008, which is next year. I cant wait! But Long Island is expecting a low population of them, where New York city will get the high volume of them, well some are better than none right?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just looked it up and if their correct it says 2008, which is next year. I cant wait! But Long Island is expecting a low population of them, where New York city will get the high volume of them, well some are better than none right?
Its this year, its been all over our newspapers

"In late May 2007, billions of periodical cicadas from Brood XIII will emerge from the ground throughout northern Illinois and parts of neighboring states."

-Cicadamania.com, refering to the the 17 year outbreak, last happened in 1989.

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have they awakened yet? and how come there are none up here :(

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its this year, its been all over our newspapers

"In late May 2007, billions of periodical cicadas from Brood XIII will emerge from the ground throughout northern Illinois and parts of neighboring states."

It's this year for you, but not for me I meant. NY isnt part of it.

This is what it says when the broods will emerge.

This is for your location
XIII
IA, IL, IN, MI, WI

This is for my location, it says 2008.
XIV
KY, GA, IN, MA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ohh gotcha, yea i was refering to the one around me in the beginning so i though thats what you were talking about:)

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like alot of good spider food coming your guy's way.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i remember when long time ago i caught an adult on the ground i gave to my very first emperor scorp. and she was grabbing this noisy thing trying to eat it,it was sreaching so freakin loud i had to leave the house for awhile{D it was echoing(spelling) threw out the house,she finally ate it though:p

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cicadas are so cool. Just one of them is loud, I can't imagine hundreds chirping away outside. That must be amazing. I wonder when they will come out again in California.
I found some cicada recipes online that I thought were interesting. Here's a PDF: Cooking and enjoying periodical cicadas