15 baby scorps need some help

Josh88

Arachnopeon
So I'm in Houston Texas I purchased a yellow legged ground burrowing scorpion from a pet store about 3 months ago, now about 2 weeks ago it had 15 babies. I'm not capable of caring for that many, I contacted the pet store and they said they would take them but I'd rather not give them to the pet store because I feel they can't properly care for them, but I haven't found an alternative solution so I thought I would come on here and ask for some advice or suggestions any advice would be appreciated.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Get some small tupperware containers, put some substrate in them and keep them separately. They should be pretty hardy and easy to care for. I would slightly mist once a week when you feed. Feed appropriate sized crickets or roaches. They probably won't eat every week.

Do you happen to have any pictures? Alternatively you can put up a post in the classifieds section. I would be interested in taking a couple/few.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
Get some small tupperware containers, put some substrate in them and keep them separately. They should be pretty hardy and easy to care for. I would slightly mist once a week when you feed. Feed appropriate sized crickets or roaches. They probably won't eat every week.

Do you happen to have any pictures? Alternatively you can put up a post in the classifieds section. I would be interested in taking a couple/few.
IMG_20161230_184835854.jpg this was about a week ago they have come off the mother now and I have put them in small individual containers

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Appears that it is an Opistophthalmus sp. I would give the female a mix of peat and sand so that she can burrow. Obviously her having babies is a good sign that conditions are good. Babies will need a bit more moisture so they do not dry out.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
View attachment 228451 this was about a week ago they have come off the mother now and I have put them in small individual containers
M not really wanti
Appears that it is an Opistophthalmus sp. I would give the female a mix of peat and sand so that she can burrow. Obviously her having babies is a good sign that conditions are good. Babies will need a bit more moisture so they do not dry out.
Yah I bought a new substrate for her that says it's designed to let them burrow but I figured I should wait until the scorplings had crawled off so I wouldn't put any extra stress on them, my main things are, I don't know how they are communally so I have them all separated in small containers and I'd like to find people locally to take all or some of them, I'm not really wanting to try to figure out how to ship them and pay for the shipping. The other is I'd like to avoid taking them back to the pet store I got her from. I don't feel that they do a good job taking care of the animals they have there.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great pics. I would still be interested in getting a few from you if all else fails. If interested PM me and I can walk you through shipping and such!

lovebugfarm

Arachnopeon
There is always zookeepers in Austin they will likely trade with you and they produce their own scorpions in store from time to time so they have experience careing for little scorpions. There is a facebook group 8 legs over texas where you might be able to find someone local with experience to take care of some. I would like some I'm in Austin but I know that's a serious drive. Give the facebook group a try.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
There is always zookeepers in Austin they will likely trade with you and they produce their own scorpions in store from time to time so they have experience careing for little scorpions. There is a facebook group 8 legs over texas where you might be able to find someone local with experience to take care of some. I would like some I'm in Austin but I know that's a serious drive. Give the facebook group a try.
Thanks i didn't know there was a Texas group I'll have to check it out

Josh88

Arachnopeon
Hey I may be making that trip to Austin this weekend to zookeepers if I can confirm that they will take the scorpions off my hands hopefully in a trade but you mentioned you would take some how many are you thinking?

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's definitely Opistophthalmus, as Brandon said - I think it's most likely O. glabifrons or O. wahlbergii.

Last edited:

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey I may be making that trip to Austin this weekend to zookeepers if I can confirm that they will take the scorpions off my hands hopefully in a trade but you mentioned you would take some how many are you thinking?
I'm also in Texas and i'd be interested in some as well if you want. in north SA